First pass on new motor 12.801 @ 115.12 w/ 2.20

just4bob50

Apr 2, 2005
Pa.
Well guys against my better judgement I decided to take the car to the track to see what it would run even though it hadnt been tuned yet. Right now it is running on my old SCT tune from my stock long block 302 with 8lbs of boost. I had no idea how much timing was pulled out up top so I set my base timing at 12 and had at it. I was also still runing the stock ignition, and stock pulley's. I was shifting at 6500 rpms.

This was my first pass of 2 and the only complete one.

60' 2.200
330 5.716
1/8 8.498
mph 90.25
1000 10.837
1/4 12.801
mph 115.12

I put 3 more degress of timing into it to see how much my top end would have improved but I had horrible wheel hop and missed 3rd, and called it a day because I even had wheel hop in the burn out box. I left the timing there for the ride home to see how it felt and Im certain it had more power up top than before. I was hoping to see another couple of mph with more timing but it was in the mid 30's and as bad as the car was on the 2nd pass I decided to not push my luck.

Im sure the once I hook up my HI-6, put my underdrive pulleys on and get it tuned I should have no problems getting into the 11's with a decent hook. My suspension is 100% stock with no quad shocks, so I have a few things for my x-mas list now.

A big thanks to Rick from RNH Performance for building a heck of a motor with far more left in it.

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to tellmuch other than get it tuned and back to the track. The mph isn't bad for untuned, but without numbers from it set up right, there isnt much to say other than get back out there and get that car into the 11s.

Ill be swaping my granetelli control arms and quads from my vert to the LX, and see what happens. The entire traction issue surronded wheel hop, so if I can get rid of that more than half the battle is over. I used to get low 1.8's in my 2" lowered vert with those parts.

Once I hook up my HI-6, put the underdrive pulley's, and put a manual rack in it theres maybe 20 more hp and Im hoping to pick up 30 - 50 hp with a tune. Im still having a hard time finding out how much timing was pulled out from the SC tune it on now.