First Start After Storage

2007_Crown_Vic

Aug 19, 2016
I plan to start my 1990 Mustang for the first time next weekend after being stored for about 5 months. I have come across a few people who suggest disconnecting the ignition system and turning the engine over for 10-15 seconds or so to get the oil pumped around the engine before actually firing it up. Is this a good idea? I can't see it hurting as long as the pump will actually work in this situation. What do you think?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, fresh oil, oil filter, gas was fresh, full talk with stabilizer in it and battery disconnected. It has been sitting in a temperature controlled garage with a car cover on it.

Yeah, I am not too worried about it because of the conditions it was stored in, just figured anything I can do to help the wear and tear would be good. This would work thought right, if the engine is spinning the pump would be pumping right?

I will drive it around gently for the first while. I want to try and burn off a good bit of gas so I can mix in some fresh stuff to dilute and freshen up the old stuff with the stabilizer in it. It is a rare but great situation when I am "forced" to drive around pointlessly with the objective of burning off gas, I can't wait, lol.

That is interesting, I just heard about that today earlier about the flooring the gas thing. Good to know. what is the purpose of pulling the plugs? I thought just disabling it from firing up and spinning at a lower speed would get the oil flowing. If I am going to take the plugs out maybe I should just change them too unless they look new. I have no idea when it was done last...

I see, that makes sense. Also, is the flooring the gas part needed if the ignition coil is unplugged? Other than the pump priming the system when the key is turned the injectors won't be pumping fuel if the engine doesn't fire up right? Like they won't be blasting fuel in the whole time I am turning the engine over?

Pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill if you just want to pump oil up through the galleys and get things lubricated prior to moving any parts.

Reactions: 1 user
New gas and oil would be my considerations then press "go".

No wait, I still have to do:

Gears
traction lock
LCAs
UCAs
bushings
shocks
struts
brake conversion
wheels tires
street cage

but hell... after that, just fire it up and go. :D