first time at track...aaahhhhhhhh

went to track for first time ever...

1/4 mile...temp in the 70's

best time was 15.3
at 95.3 mph
60' was 2.4
1/8 was 10.1

thought i would do better..?? never done this before but kept spinning tires in first. tried popping, not popping. tried in second at high rpm's. could not break 14's...!!!!!

oh well....:(

car is petty much stock. pulleys, magnapack, cai, (no tune that night)

• Sponsors (?)

Ouch...:D

I ran a 15.03 my first time, 2nd run brought it to a 14.9x and didnt run anymore after that. I want to take it back.

I was pissed, but then I realized it was my first time, never really launched the car aside from a few times on the street, but thats different. Youll get better...:nice:

Launch launch launch....its all in the first 60' mang
Keep practicing your launch and you will drop to the low 14's
If you are driving a 5 speed, practice not stomping the gas and jacking the clutch....drive it like on the street, just a little faster...smooth motion letting out on the clutch, and smooth motion dropping the gas pedal to the floor, and then speed shift through the gears....play around with your launch rpms....you should be able to grab somewhere between 1500-2200 rpms....

These cars can run 13's stock if you can drive them. Launching is the critical part getting you out of the hole and with minimal wheel spin. Slipping the clutch will work on street tires. Just have to practice.

thanks.....felt pretty retarded. it just seemed no matter what i just spun. i even tried second, but it bogged down. i hit 96mph on one run but that one was 15.8..???

its strange how on the street you can pop, and go. but dam on the track its spintastic. next time i will try to go easy but i get fied up when the car next to me launches lik a bastard, then i nail it. and thats all she wrote, spin time.:mad:

i did enjoy running people down, but did not win to often...

The track is a whole new animal.

When I just had an h pipe, shifter and gears I was right along with my buddies LS1's on the street, but on the track I just spun and they were putting down low 13's while i wasn't.

Do not even worry about people saying you will hit 13's. Good chance you won't with a stock stang. It is all dependent on your track elevation, pressure, temp, blah blah. Just go out and have fun. If you want to get good times at the track you need better tires, period. Street tires won't cut it. Get some Mickey Thompson ET Streets. With stickier tires you could concievably get your 60' under 2.0 which would get you into the 14's. It all depends on how much you want to get to what time. I'm running 12's and now I want 11's, it never ends man.

One good tip if there are a bunch of slow cars there try to race after group of faster cars. They will lay down some good rubber and make the track stickier. When I raced in Martin there was a church group there racing and 99.9% was ETing 16-20 sec and would roll through the water box leaving water on the track. When I raced after a group of them I spun so bad I ran a 13.98 @ 105, letting off 3 TIMES! I then waited until a group of faster (11-10sec) cars lined up an got behind them. They got rid of the water and also made the track sticker and I ran a 12.86 @ 109 I still spun but that was do to my crappy Nitto 555R. I need a better tire.

:hail2:
TweekedGT said:
...Get some Mickey Thompson ET Streets...
:hail2:

Don't get discouraged man - it takes time to learn how to bring it outta the hole...try dropping the air pressure and doing a longer burnout to get some more heat in the tires - and like everyone's been saying, dont just drop the clutch and hammer it - you have to relax and feel it out...:nice:

04YELLOWGT said:
One good tip if there are a bunch of slow cars there try to race after group of faster cars. They will lay down some good rubber and make the track stickier. When I raced in Martin there was a church group there racing and 99.9% was ETing 16-20 sec and would roll through the water box leaving water on the track. When I raced after a group of them I spun so bad I ran a 13.98 @ 105, letting off 3 TIMES! I then waited until a group of faster (11-10sec) cars lined up an got behind them. They got rid of the water and also made the track sticker and I ran a 12.86 @ 109 I still spun but that was do to my crappy Nitto 555R. I need a better tire.

Nittos suck, I have the same problem. I'm gonna go with some Mickey Thompsons next time on my lighter 16" stock rims

When my 98 GT was new (almost new) I only had exhaust and I ran a 16.0 my first run. It was trash! Then I got to 15.2 and I was slowly getting better. After about 5 runs I ran a 14.6 and my brother (driving my car) ran a 14.4 ... So the driver is the biggest factor ... You will get better and plus it's all about the fun anyway. Good times are just a bonus. :)

Just keep trying. Eventually you will find something that tends to work well, and then just improve on that technique. Where the track is located is a big factor like others have said, but comparing your car to mine, it seems like your hurting in the 60', but it also looks like you're losing alot of time down the track as well, for what reason I dont know. My best luck has been launching at a steady 2,000rpm and slipping the clutch, and once it starts moving start to give it the hammer. You gotta be quick but easy.

TweekedGT said:
Do not even worry about people saying you will hit 13's. Good chance you won't with a stock stang. It is all dependent on your track elevation, pressure, temp, blah blah. Just go out and have fun. If you want to get good times at the track you need better tires, period. Street tires won't cut it. Get some Mickey Thompson ET Streets. With stickier tires you could concievably get your 60' under 2.0 which would get you into the 14's. It all depends on how much you want to get to what time. I'm running 12's and now I want 11's, it never ends man.

He runs at the same track as me.. new england dragway.. I ran a stock 13.903@99 with a 2.0 60 it was in the mid 70's that day with a low da number.

He should get to atleast a 14.0 with some practice

Guess what my mods without sticky tires added nothing. the 4.10's almost hurt you with stock tires. I have not run yet with the control arms or X-pipe. I think if I got some stickier tires so I can get a better 60 than a 2.1 I would go 13.5 or so.

Best advice I can give him is forget about his reaction time. just relax go when your ready even if you get a horrible R/T then when you know how to launch then practice cutting good lights.