first time potential mustang owner - what to look for when buying used?

paradigm

Jul 18, 2007
Hey all,
I have been keeping my eye on new edge 99-04 GT 5-speed mustangs for a while now. I am still a complete newbie to the mustang scene, but would like to know any tips when looking at these cars? any common known problems? anything to watch out for? I am trying to aim for a car with around 60k miles or less. Ideally I would like an 03-04 but those are ususally out of my budget (also out of my budget are Cobras and Mach 1's). Should I stay away from the early cars (99-00)?

I have owned a bunch of Nissan Maximas and one G35 coupe, and I would really like to experience some V8 torque (as well as that bueatiful sound) for a change.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Use the same approach when purchasing any other used vehicle. Do your homework first (CARFAX or similar, check past recalls/TSBs, read old car review articles, etc).

Visit the "stickied" threads at the top of our "4.6L tech" section for some of the more common Mustang service issues (ie - TR-3650 trans, although 99s and 00s came with the T-45 trans, IIRC).

It doesn't hurt to bring along a trustworthy friend or somebody in your family who is a car enthusiast when you travel to inspect the car. Having access to past service/maintenance records is also a plus. Test drive the car. Avoid buying a car sight unseen, if possible.

Getting the car checked out by a mechanic or mustang/speed shop you are familiar with doesn't hurt either (just don't let them charge too much for their "inspection").

Be patient ! Don't get overly attached to the first low-milage '99-'04 you come across - keep your options open while searching through the classifieds.

G'luck in your quest. :cheers:

When ever I purchase a stang, do the usual inspection that you would do to any car. Then comes the fun part lol. Rev her up and pop that clutch and make sure BOTH tires spin :) Check the torque boxes and make sure they look new.

Having owned both a 99 and an 04 I can tell you there is no difference
in reliability, which is high. With the 99/00 you would need to pay attention to
the condition of the fluids, hoses,belt and maintaince history.
If the interior and paint are unabused its always a sign the owner has been
taking good care of the car. Look for leaks,smoke, strange noises.

Let the car idle for 2 or 3 minutes, then rev it up and make sure it does not smoke. Like slayer said, you need to bring the rpm's up a little bit, get in a straight line, and dump it to make sure both tires spin. Go threw every gear slowly, listen for a whine comeing from the transmission, if the synco's are going bad, you will be able to hear them. Check the maintance history to see if maybe it shows the coil on plugs have been changed. Check the rear differential to make sure it isnt leaking.

I would check the "lines" of the car to make sure everything still fits tight. Do the windows roll up tight? I would look at the tire wear to see if anything jumps out as far as suspension problems. I would look at the oil and the coolant and if possible, the transmission fluid. I would then run the engine and listen to it. What's the curb idle? Is it fluctuating? Turn on everything electrical to put a load on the car and test the charge current. Check to see if the heater and the AC work. Look for leaks...

Then... take it for a drive. Test accelleration and braking.

If you look at a 99-00 car, look at the intake manifold (the big black piece that sits on top of the engine, behind the alternator). If the first runner (think tube) that runs behind the alternator is black plastic, you can bet on that part cracking at some point during ownership and needed immediate replacement. If it's already been replaced, the front runner will be silver (aluminum), and you're good to go.

It's a very common, annoying problem. I made it just shy of 150k before mine went out, but it went out in a pretty dramatic fashion... very messy. The good news is that a new intake manifold (you need the entire assembly) is right around $190. Installing the new one isn't hard as long as you understand what you're doing.

Aside from that... everyone else nailed the main points.

These cars are very reliable overall. The majority of us have beat on them pretty hard during our ownership and had little, to no parts fail.

It seems like everyone is saying these cars are pretty bulletproof, but the issues surrounding hte TR3560 really worry me. Should I be worried about them, or was it just a small batch out of all the 01's to 04's that were affected?

Also does anyone know if there were any durability differences between the windsor vs romeo blocks?

just make sure the car is clean and unabused, my 98 GT has over 180K miles, and besides the engine replacement at 150K due to a head gasket problem, the only other things i've replaced is the clutch, and as of right now, the axles. And i beat on this car, I run nitrous through it, i bang gears and take her to the limits, and it still kicks ass. As far as my other one, my 03 GT, i have my regular cosmetic and exhaust upgrades, its my daily driver, so far 123K miles on her and im getting ready to replace the clutch. Their solid cars man!!!

It seems like everyone is saying these cars are pretty bulletproof, but the issues surrounding hte TR3560 really worry me. Should I be worried about them, or was it just a small batch out of all the 01's to 04's that were affected?

Also does anyone know if there were any durability differences between the windsor vs romeo blocks?

If the car shifts smoothly and doesn't make any odd noises or produce any irregular feedback, I wouldn't sweat it. There were a lot of cars affected, many of those had issues taken care of, and some cars will never deal with it. They are a stout transmission otherwise, I have two friends running 530-550rwhp through bone stock T-3650s and they shift like new.

As far as the difference in engines, neither one really has a durability advantage over the other. They have a few small differences, but parts are interchangeable.

Windsors are basically truck motors that were put into the Mustangs in 99-00 when there was a fire at the Romeo manufacturing facility.

Differences are in piston wrist-pins, timing covers, cam caps/bridges, crankshafts (Windsor has 8-bolt, Romeo 6-bolt, but both are cast cranks), cam gears (Windsors are pressed on, Romeo bolt on), and a few other minor details.

If the car shifts smoothly and doesn't make any odd noises or produce any irregular feedback, I wouldn't sweat it. There were a lot of cars affected, many of those had issues taken care of, and some cars will never deal with it. They are a stout transmission otherwise, I have two friends running 530-550rwhp through bone stock T-3650s and they shift like new.

As far as the difference in engines, neither one really has a durability advantage over the other. They have a few small differences, but parts are interchangeable.

Windsors are basically truck motors that were put into the Mustangs in 99-00 when there was a fire at the Romeo manufacturing facility.

Differences are in piston wrist-pins, timing covers, cam caps/bridges, crankshafts (Windsor has 8-bolt, Romeo 6-bolt, but both are cast cranks), cam gears (Windsors are pressed on, Romeo bolt on), and a few other minor details.

Thats some good technical info there, thanks!

Be sure to pay attention to the traction control button if you try burning the tires on take-off. You need to turn it off to effectively spin the tires.

Cars with ABS usually had traction control, all cars with traction control have ABS. Non-ABS GT's are pretty rare, in my experience. Non-traction control ABS cars are even more rare, I'd imagine.

As has been said, there aren't really any issues to expect. I've had a '99, and now have an '03, and the differences are really minor - cupholder in a more desirable spot and the A pillar is thicker on the '03. There is no reason to avoid a low-mileage '99.

It's a solid, dependable car that will tolerate a lot of abuse without complaint. You can comfortably drive it all year with decent tires for winter.

I bought my 98 gt with 110k miles on it. The only things i've had to really do are regular maintenance things. Depending on the miles you may want to check the suspension, shocks struts bushings etc. Other than the suspension i'e had no problems whatsoever with with my mustang. Cant speak for any other year but they seem to be solid cars.

Thats some good technical info there, thanks!

No problem...:nice:

Research the difference between NPI and PI motors. There is a power difference in the 99-04 range with these motors... 99-01 < 02-04.

1999 was the first year of the PI motor, continued through 04 for our cars. The only difference between the years was whether the car had a Windsor (99-00) or Romeo engine (01-04). Otherwise, they make exactly the same hp and tq.

And for what it's worth, NPI (96-98) cars are Romeo engine cars, just like the 01-04.

1999 was the first year of the PI motor, continued through 04 for our cars. The only difference between the years was whether the car had a Windsor (99-00) or Romeo engine (01-04). Otherwise, they make exactly the same hp and tq.

And for what it's worth, NPI (96-98) cars are Romeo engine cars, just like the 01-04.

I stand corrected. I seem to remember a change in manual transmissions in mid 2001?