Five Lug Convo Problems : rear disk brakes

TobyA-1

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2001
I have an 88 8.8 that I put 98 5 lug axles into. I put the brackets off the 98 on the 88 housing as well. The problem is that the calipers don't mount flush to my brackets (there is about 1/2" gap between them). Either my axles are too long or the 88 housing is too short. What am I doing wrong here? Is there an adapter plate or washers that I am missing or something?

• Sponsors (?)

SN-95 Axles

Yes, there is a difference in the 94+ axles and Fox axles. They are 1/2" - 3/4" longer for the SN-95 body style. Example, I have an 8.8 from a 90 something Fox, in my 94. I have 94+ axles in it. I installed an Aerospace rear brake kit this past weekend and had to machine spacers to offset the difference in axle lenghts to get the calipers to center on the rotors. You may have to do something similar to get things to line up. Everything should bolt up fine, but the only problem is the axle lenghts. Hope this helps a bit.
Later.

Okay, so I missed the 98 caliper bracket part. The only other thing I can think of is that the axles must come out to slide the mounting brackets on. If you did not replace the pinion shaft and lockbolt in the housing the axles would be allowed to slide in/out and give you problems lining things up. I previously had stock 94 axles, stock 94 brackets and calipers on a 90 housing. Everything lined up fine. With the new brakes I had problems with what you are describing and had to make spacers as stated previously. I'm out of ideas now.