Fixed car, kinda. More questions

DarkProphet

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2002
Quakertown, PA
Well i reinstalled the lower intake, and it seems to be running better. Still wont idle, but i have 36#ers on it with no tune, so i kinda expected that. The real problem is that when i hit the gas around 2k i hear like a metalic klanking noise comming from under my car. Is this maybe pinging? I dont see how its pinging with 10* of timing and WAY to much fuel. Anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I see you have BBK headers, are you still running EGR equipment? EGR flows exhaust gases back into the intake and into the combustion chambers to help cool them (exhaust is 600* as opposed to combustion chamber's 2000*). This way at part throttle, the computer can kick in a TON of timing to increase fuel efficiency. If the EGR is taken off, and the computer is not told about it (the ONLY real way to do this is to go into the PCM with a chip/tweecer/pms) then it thinks there is cool gas flowing through there and so it adds the timing, when really the combustion temperatures are a lot hotter than they should be. Extra timing (on top of that base 10*) and hot combustion temperatures will lead to pinging.

Sooo...................... do you still have EGR? :)

no EGR at all. Well its on the car, just no tube connecting them, they were both capped off. Once i get the tune, they will be removing it from the ecu, but for now, what should I do? just disconnect the plug? or leave it pluged in?

You can disassemble the actual valve, and there will be a plunger that moves in and out. You can secure this plunger half in and half out, that should at least keep the CEL from coming on. There's really nothing you can do until you get the tune, just take it easy.