Fixed stalling, missing, rough idle, surprise result.

garystocker

Jan 2, 2005
New Jersey
I wanted to pass this along since it would have saved me a load of time...

I had my car die on the road and had it towed to a shop who installed a new distributor and set the timing.

Since then it cranked really hard and slow (unless the coil wire removed: then it cranked fast), it ran rough, stumbled, stalled, ran hot on the highway, and lost 70 miles to the tank in milage.

After exhaustive research and trying all of JR Ricters stalling checklist I was at my wits end.

Computer code 11 (normal condition)
no vacuume leaks
TPS fine
IBC fine
new tune up/ oil and filters.

I then checked the timing...:jaw:

It was way, way advanced. (But I never heard any pinging) I think he never took the spout out or had the inductor on the wrong spark plug wire. He was idiot in any case.

Set timing to factory and it now runs better than it ever has. Christ!

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to hear it. You might also wanna make sure the number one plug wire is on the number one plug tower on the cap (the tower should have a "1" next to it). On your 68, you can move the plug wires around the cap but on an EFI vehicle, you have to keep them indexed.

I have had similar problems since I replaced my harmonic balancer. Can you put those on wrong and screw up the timing. Because I have checked and adjusted my timing since then and the car is still running rough

Unless you are the big green muscles all over guy from the TV and cartoons, the harmonic balancer only fits on one way unless you leave the key out of the crankshaft.

I just tuned a guys car this morning and when going over my pre-tuning checklist , one of the questions is what is your base timing set at ? his reply , I timed it by ear , I think its a little high cause its hard to start when hot , my reply well I will set base timing before I start tuning it

Umm yea 24 degrees base timing is what it was on , hes been driving the car like this for 5 months since putting the top end kit on it ....

Glad to hear it. You might also wanna make sure the number one plug wire is on the number one plug tower on the cap (the tower should have a "1" next to it). On your 68, you can move the plug wires around the cap but on an EFI vehicle, you have to keep them indexed.

I've never heard this. Does it jack up the timing?