Roush Fixing Magnesiums...

sal07b

Mar 18, 2004
Springboro Ohio
:mad: So I took the car over to Tire Discounters to have a new set of tires put on it. They call me and tell me that when they broke the bead, the blast of air caused the paint "blow off". I'm like, "BS, I'm coming over..." I get there and the idiot hit my wheel with the blade that they use to break the bead of the tire from the rim. It was obvious because of the shiny gouges where the metal blade hit the metal rim. So I'm trying desperately not to make this personal, but I'm really pissed that these people think I'm that much of an idiot. It's everything I can do not to knock this liar's nose off of his face.

I finally get routed to the regional manager who wants me to get an estimate. Well, as it turns out, the place I had the wheels refurbished did them in a color that is company propriety. Therefore, I have to have all four done at a reputable local wheel shop to ensure that they match. The cost is $850 for all four to be stripped, redone, shot, cleared and baked with the new tires put on. The regional manager will only pay for the one they damages plus 1/2 of the other three (says he feels somewhat responsible for my problem). Bottom line, it's gonna cost me $250 (no tax since the shop is paying) to get all four done.

Now to my question. What can I do about the gouge caused by the blade? The shop says that they can fix it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like this with their Magnesium wheels. I'd like to be able to tell the shop, "do this....because it has worked for people with the same wheels". Any help would be great...

• Sponsors (?)

well i would have them replace the wheel they messed up not fix it. if they do not want to pay for all four wheels to get painted remind them this was not your fault they were the ones who did this and your wheels must match i mean you own a Saleen not a V6 mustang piece of crap. if that does not work take them to court.

Dave,

Body Bondo. I know it sounds funny but it works perfectly with the magnesium. Been there done that. Just make sure they paint the wheel after they fix it and no powdercoat. You don't want the worms to come.

This is the reason there is only one guy I go to in All of Los Angeles to mount and dismount all of the tires on all of my wheels. I also tip him well and he drops everything when I come around. All of his "tools" have rubber tips even the pry bars.

S281SC#08 said:
well i would have them replace the wheel they messed up not fix it. if they do not want to pay for all four wheels to get painted remind them this was not your fault they were the ones who did this and your wheels must match i mean you own a Saleen not a V6 mustang piece of crap. if that does not work take them to court.

Replacing the wheel is not as easy as you might think. They don't make/sell them any more. I even went as far as to call Speedline in England. They don't make them any more in the size/offset that ours came in. Additionally, if I buy one used, it's likely that it won't match the others and I'll have to have it re-done with the others to ensure they match. I'm going to have this one done, I was really just looking for suggestions on HOW.

Thanks for the suggestion Marcus. I'm going to talk to the guy doing the work about it...

marcus95 said:
Dave,

Body Bondo. I know it sounds funny but it works perfectly with the magnesium. Been there done that. Just make sure they paint the wheel after they fix it and no powdercoat. You don't want the worms to come.

This is the reason there is only one guy I go to in All of Los Angeles to mount and dismount all of the tires on all of my wheels. I also tip him well and he drops everything when I come around. All of his "tools" have rubber tips even the pry bars.

Worms? The guy is going to chemically strip them and take care of any blemishes. He is then going to prime/paint/clearcoat/and bake them. He guarantees his work for life and says that they'll be as good as factory when he is finished. I'll take some pics when he is done...

sal07b said:
Worms? The guy is going to chemically strip them and take care of any blemishes. He is then going to prime/paint/clearcoat/and bake them. He guarantees his work for life and says that they'll be as good as factory when he is finished. I'll take some pics when he is done...

Unless the powdercoat guy uses the "green" primer the magnesium wheels will develop the worm disease after a year or so. That's why it's so important to know what you are doing when you powdercoat these wheels. If he is just going to paint them then you will be fine.