Fixing wrecked '96 - PATS and alarm questions

clarkjr

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2000
NC
Bought a '96 with mild front end damage. The theft light flashes quite often. Drove car for the first time the other day and turned engine off, opened door, hit door lock button and walked away. After some time (a min to a few min maybe) the alarm started going off. I have no remote and only one key so I had to disconnect the battery (maybe inserting key into ignition would have worked but did not think of that).

So, I've done some searching but am still not sure what may be the best way to deal with this issue. I know I need more than one key and know you need two functional keys to add one so I guess I have to reprogram a bunch of new keys (I found this: Program a new Ford PATS Key)

What about the flashing theft light and alarm?

Attachments

• At Randall's 002 (Large).jpg
    At Randall's 002 (Large).jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Sponsors (?)

Bought a '96 with mild front end damage.
WOW :eek:
So, I've done some searching but am still not sure what may be the best way to deal with this issue.
I think it is possible that the alarm will go off if the battery is disconnected or power interrupted. This is done to prevent someone from disconnecting the battery in an attempt to defeat the alarm. Given the condition of the car, that is not so far fetched.

Possible the problem is GROUND related. Check the ground to the left of the console. It is shared by the GEM, Cluster, and radio. The grounds around the radiator core support look like they could use some help.

Consider disabling PATS with a hand held tuner until the car is fixed.

And damage to the steering column? The PATS receiver is located in the steering column.

This problem is not being caused by having only 1 key.

The theft light flashes a code. Perhaps count the flashes and see if that gives any insight.

WOW :eek:

Consider disabling PATS with a hand held tuner until the car is fixed.

Great, did not know one could do that. That will give me an excuse to buy a tuner.

And damage to the steering column? The PATS receiver is located in the steering column.
Well, air bad deployed (surprise!) but other than that, I have not found any damage.

The theft light flashes a code. Perhaps count the flashes and see if that gives any insight.

Thank you. Did not know that either. Most of my time has been with Fox bodies so some of this is very new.