Drivetrain Flexplate bolts work with a t5 flywheel?

Road_Runna

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
Ogden, UT
Im going to pull the Aod-e out today, Just wodering if I can use my old flexplate bolts on the flywheel for the t5 swap, I can't seem to find the answer looking through some of the old posts.

And this time around I was able to find the correct pedals and T4M0 computer.
Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't answer you question because I've never compared the bolts before on a 302. However, from my experience with a lot of other engines it won't work. Usually the flex plate bolts are shorter than flywheel bolts.

Check out the Ford Racing catelog, they may have a bolt kit for MT flywheels. They used to have a bunch of stock-replacement type bolt kits for clutches and flywheels at very reasonable prices if I remember correctly. The sad thing is that they've dropped so many Fox and SN95 parts over past couple of years that it might be an obsolete part now.

You'll just have to get it apart and look.
I have seen it go both ways... I think Ford had short and long bolts, and fully intended to use short ones on flexplates and long ones on flywheels. However, when it came to the assembly line, if they were building an auto trans car, and didn't have short bolts on hand, they freely used long ones.

I have taken apart plenty of flexplate cars, and it is a 50/50 chance you'll find long bolts.

I received my flywheel bolts from summitt the other day, and just compared the stock flexplate bolts to the ARP-100-2801 bolts, they both measure the same lenght 1 inch from where the threads start!

Here's the difference I am seeing though. Using the flexplate, the bolts stick out 7/8 of an inch out, so 7/8 is going into the crank threads, measuring with the flywheel, the bolts only stick out 5/8 of an inch and that's what goes into the crank bolt pattern, My question now, should I go to a nut and bolt supply store and buy the 1 and one quarter long bolts to make up that difference? or am I just beating myself with this concern, and 5/8 of an inch enough?

I am trying to recall the lengths...
I believe the stock flywheel bolts are 1" or 1.25" long, while the flexplate bolts are well under 1".
Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure that was the case when I compared the two stock versions.