Float Adjustment for Edelbrock Carb

Red66GT

Jul 14, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
When I take sharp turns too quickly or if I brake too fast the car will cut off. :(

I used to have a Holley and the float adjustment was pretty simple, I remember I had to have the float set a certain spot where I can rock the car back and forth and fuel would seap out of one of the screw holes I removed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the floats on an Edelbrock carb? I have the common 600 cfm model.

Is there a certain spot and a way to test the Edelbrock for proper float setting? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Red66GT said:
Does anyone know how to adjust the floats on an Edelbrock carb? I have the common 600 cfm model.

:

i can tell you that after you hear this, you'll understand why i don't care for afb's anymore. you have to remove the cover, thats right disassemble it, remove the floats and bend the tabs, reassemble it, test it, repeat if necassary.......

p5718_image_large.jpg

heres the link for a bad-ass tech article...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/1071/

actually,

You remove the lid on the carb as shown in the picture. Of course, you will have to remove the metering rods to get the lid off. The floats are pretty easy to adjust. No other disassembly is required. When you turn the lid right side up, the distance between the top of the float and the underside lid of the carb should be about 1.25" When you turn the lid upside down, the space between top (now bottom of the floats because they are upside down) and the lid of the carb should be about 11mm or 7/16" You can bend the tabs with the floats in if need be. If you want to remove the floats, they are simply held in with a rod. Its a fairly easy process. hope this helps.

Make sure the 'anti-slosh' gates (don't know what they are really called) are installed... there should be one at each side of the bowl (you'll see them when you remove the top) - they slide in slots down into the bowls and have small openings at the bottom for fuel flow but don't allow a huge amount of shifting of fuel during hard cornering. If they're not there, that would cause problems during cornering.