Progress Thread Floor pan repair/build thread

So I got the steering column back in the car which was much easier than I anticipated. I hooked everything up to start the car for the first time in forever and I’m getting some bizarre issues. The fuel pump will only prime when the key is in the start position and won’t prime when in the on position. It works like normal as in it primes for a few seconds then shuts off just like it normally would. The car will not turn over since I physically can’t turn the key anymore. All of this worked before. Is it possible I messed up something with the tumbler by turning the key with the column out of the car?

Everything else seems to work, the dinger works, dome light is on and the switches function, I’ve made sure I hooked back all the grounds I removed including both ecu grounds and the dash harness ground that grounds at the shock tower, I got everything hooked back up at the solenoid and all connectors that are essential to running are all hooked back up. Does anyone know what could be causing this key issue?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a physical connection between the key cylinder and the ignition switch itself which looks like a small rod. Pull the switch off and see if for some reason when the key is in the off position the rod and the slider in the switch are not lined up properly. This could be a bad switch.

View: https://youtu.be/i3ZR9ign2bI

I checked and they’re lining up still. The little rod is engaging the slider. It seems like I have to turn the key a little past where on should be to get the ignition to the on position and I physically can’t turn it far enough to get it to the crank position. Does that sound like a bad switch? It wouldn’t surprise me if it was already bad but it would be annoying because I just replaced the ignition switch around the middle of last year

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
There is a little ball like thing at the bottom of the key cylinder, turn the key to the 'on' position, push the ball in with a very small screwdriver or pick and the key cylinder should come out, look into the opening and you'll see where you can take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the switch mechanism forward (clockwise) it should engage the starter, release the switch and stick the key switch back in with the key oriented to the 'on' position.

There is a little ball like thing at the bottom of the key cylinder, turn the key to the 'on' position, push the ball in with a very small screwdriver or pick and the key cylinder should come out, look into the opening and you'll see where you can take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the switch mechanism forward (clockwise) it should engage the starter, release the switch and stick the key switch back in with the key oriented to the 'on' position.
Okay I understand now. I’ll give that a try before I replace anything. I appreciate it.

Anyone got an id on these two wires? They’re connected to the huge dash harness. I’m assuming they’re some sort of test plugs?
13C03C92-E77F-4A90-84CB-7C5E52E2BF22.png

So now that the whole ignition switch debacle is over I’m finally moving on. I had an issue with the the vacuum block that connects to the dash hvac controls and I could hear a hissing from a vacuum leak and I thought I had busted the lines when the dash was out but it turned out I had just hooked up the vacuum source to the wrong port and it was just sucking air through an open hole.

Got that fixed and now I’m going to get the rest of the car back together. I also had to put some clear silicone around the door dome light plunger because it’s leaking something fierce ever since I pulled it to reconnect the wire.

So a small update
1EF0CBD4-E3E3-42A4-B862-58DFC7DE284E.jpeg

Got the center console in and the cup holder console. I also took the car for a test drive and it was underwhelming but the clutch does engage and disengage even with the wacky cable situation.

I also got the quarter horse configured and installed and it runs so that’s good news. I need new weatherstripping on the drivers side because after a big rain I found my drivers side floor wet and when doing some testing I found this
46D8B053-5864-4847-ADA4-1A3C9E4E23A6.jpeg

It always seems to be something. Things have definitely slowed down since my new job started but I’ll update once the full interior is back together and that will be the end of this progress thread. I’m sure I’ll start another one soon enough about something else though