Exhaust Flowmaster 40s Too Quiet

AJTunno

Jan 21, 2016
This is a really stupid question but I am confused as hell as to why my foxbody is so quiet. I have bbk longtubes, offroad h pipe, and original 40 series flows... I hear all these videos on YouTube of 40s sounding much much louder than my car. I also may mention that these mufflers have been on the car for at least 12 years according to the previous owner. Could they be rusted inside or carbon buildup?? I would expect my car to be much louder with my setup. Any ideas??

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is a really stupid question but I am confused as hell as to why my foxbody is so quiet. I have bbk longtubes, offroad h pipe, and original 40 series flows... I hear all these videos on YouTube of 40s sounding much much louder than my car. I also may mention that these mufflers have been on the car for at least 12 years according to the previous owner. Could they be rusted inside or carbon buildup?? I would expect my car to be much louder with my setup. Any ideas??
Crapped out muffler in some way or another, not much left to cause the problem.

Mufflers are cheap, replace it.

Why loud? Loud does not equal fast.

Loud equals cop looking to give you a ticket.
Loud equals can't hear sweet thing when she smiles and says something that you would like to hear her say.
Loud equals having to turn the volume up on the stereo to the point that your ears ring.

Loud equals can't hear sweet thing when she smiles and says something that you would like to hear her say.
Loud equals having to turn the volume up on the stereo to the point that your ears ring.
Hell Mr. Richker! He's young and loud is really cool! Can't blame him really, though I'm at the moderate sound level myself at this stage of my life.

I've been married so long that not hearing my wife may just be a bonus for me.:shutup:

Reactions: 4 users
There is nothing in them to wear out or clog that would quiet them. It is just sound reflectors. My DroneMasters were brand stamped, so it should be easy to tell by looking. If they were partly clogged, the car would run badly at higher RPMs.

Real Flowmasters will wear on your nerves and give you the wrong type of ear rings. Tinnitus is annoying.

Last edited:
So what this adds up to is that you are losing your hearing.

Good news though! Just like the varitune mufflers out there, you can get a hearing aid that you can adjust the volume on!

Feeling like a nice responsible citizen? Just crank that hearing aid down.

Feeling like a bad boy? Well, you just whack that volume control up, put on a dew rag and a gold tooth cap and you're off to the local street races.

Just don't tell the chicks you have it, it makes listening to the nagging sooo much easier if you don't actually hear it.

There is nothing in them to wear out or clog that would quiet them. It is just sound reflectors. My DroneMasters were brand stamped, so it should be easy to tell by looking. If they were partly clogged, the car would run badly at higher RPMs.

Real Flowmasters will wear on your nerves and give you the wrong type of ear rings. Tinnitus is annoying.

As a result of having worked on aircraft for 12 years, my ears ring all the time, even when I sleep. That is how I can tell that I am still alive. If the ringing stops, then I know that have died and gone to Heaven.

Reactions: 2 users
He doesn't need louder mufflers, he need more exhaust drone. Just get a set of chambered mufflers and impress everyone inside and out.

If you're married, she'll probably never ride in your car again. If she takes seizure medicine by chance, this is a horrible plan.

Hey man I know what you are talking about I don't want obnoxiously loud I just want that classic American muscle sound and I want it to be heard. I don't want any glass packs or anything I just want a nice clean sound that can be heard

He doesn't need louder mufflers, he need more exhaust drone. Just get a set of chambered mufflers and impress everyone inside and out.

If you're married, she'll probably never ride in your car again.

This is very true. My wife can't take the drone, she doesn't like everyone staring at us because it's loud (i'm starting to dislike that too) and she commented on my driving once on warm fresh pavement, with warm drag radials and I grabbed second hard and her head hit the headrest and her sunglasses flew off her head into the back seat.
Two things happed after that, she never complained about my driving again and she never rode in the car again.

I think it's time for some catalytic coverters (although my car passes 1990 emissions without them).

As for on topic, not sure what series 40's are, but back in the day I had 3 chamber flowmasters with cats and it really wasn't very loud.

Last edited:
When my motor was stock, I ran Hooker Super Comp long tubes and matching off road H pipe with Flowmaster delta series 40's.
I was not all that "loud" to be honest. I mean, regarding decibels, yes, it was loud but it did not have that mean rip snorting high pitched sound. Seemed back in the day, short tube headers and Mac mufflers would give you that nasty sound on a stock motor.

Keep in mind that an exhaust system is working with what the motor gives it. Some exhaust system "X" is going to sound very different on a low compression lazy cam stock motor than it will on a higher compression solid roller car...
For example my car... it now has 10.6:1 306 with a rather aggressive solid roller(0.673 lift, 254 - 286), and the exhaust sounds nothing like it did behind the stock motor.

So, when listening to you tube videos, pay attention to what motor is breathing through "X" exhaust system.

hey AJ, this may seem dumb BUT..... do you still have the factory air intake? if you do there may be chance that you still have the silencer inside the fenderwell. Remove the silencer and you will have a significantly louder system. I made the mistake of buying an off-road h-pipe with flows to get my loud exhaust. Soon after, I got a cold air intake and removed my silencer (i didnt even know it existed) my car then became too loud that i put my factory h-pipe back on and sold the offroad one. Now my fox sounds great!

Last edited: