Flywheel Oil leak

Hello all once again,
I had a leak what seemed like rear main seal, when I got down to the flywheel bolts they started leaking what smelled like burned oil out of the holes for them (To my knowledge the flywheel bolts don’t go through the crank, please correct me if I’m wrong), so I assumed the rear main was leaking , when removing the original RMS there was a stream of oil draining through where the gasket used to be which I’ve personally never seen but ended up just putting in the new seal. After doing so there is still oil leaking between the flywheel and new clutch and I’m thinking it’s the back of oil pan leaking but am not sure, do you guys have any suggestions on any other spots I should check for leaks before I pull it to do the oil pan gasket ?

• Sponsors (?)

Until you pull it apart, it's hard to tell the cause.

It could be the back of the oil pan, but that tends to leak outside of the bellhousing down the front of the index plate.

Chronically leaking RMS's are common. Not unheard of for a new RMS to start leaking immediately, especially if there is a groove in the crank (there are sleeves available) or if the seal is torn when installed.

The flywheel bolts do pass through the crank and need sealer. The rate of leakage through the bolts would be slow compared to a RMS or oil pan leak.

Also, crankcase pressure can also cause a leak. Make sure your PCV system is properly working. When the case gets pressurized, oil tends to get pushed out through the RMS

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I
Until you pull it apart, it's hard to tell the cause.

It could be the back of the oil pan, but that tends to leak outside of the bellhousing down the front of the index plate.

Chronically leaking RMS's are common. Not unheard of for a new RMS to start leaking immediately, especially if there is a groove in the crank (there are sleeves available) or if the seal is torn when installed.

The flywheel bolts do pass through the crank and need sealer. The rate of leakage through the bolts would be slow compared to a RMS or oil pan leak.

Also, crankcase pressure can also cause a leak. Make sure your PCV system is properly working. When the case gets pressurized, oil tends to get pushed out through the RMS
I took everything off, the rms has no oil on or around it, the back of the oil pan looks like it’s leaking a tiny bit but I still can’t find what was causing it to leak out on the front side of the flywheel in between the clutch. The only thing that stood out was the oil pouring out of the flywheel bolt holes as soon as I took one off

The Windsor cranks are drilled and tapped threw .In other words the flywheel bolts need a thread sealant, it is a must.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_171622.jpg
    IMG_20200923_171622.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Agree
What would you recommend to use, I only used red thread locker.
You are looking for thread sealant, Teflon PTE. Dirt cheap at any parts store. Pretty common stuff in many applications.

The red thread locker is not recommended. It can throw your torque numbers off, and leave a mess to clean up later, not mention it doesn't do as good of a job at sealing.

Kurt

Thread sealer,the one I used is in a can with a brush and is white in colour,I think permatex?
Alright thank you I’ll try it out, I think this is the hole it was leaking out while the flywheel was on but there weren’t really any oil marks on the flywheel except at the very bottom bottom where it was dripping.

Attachments

• D79B0790-B003-41DF-BB0D-C79CBF82AE39.jpeg
    D79B0790-B003-41DF-BB0D-C79CBF82AE39.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 220
You are looking for thread sealant, Teflon PTE. Dirt cheap at any parts store. Pretty common stuff in many applications.

The red thread locker is not recommended. It can throw your torque numbers off, and leave a mess to clean up later, not mention it doesn't do as good of a job at sealing.

Kurt
Thanks as always Kurt! , I didn’t know. It definitely left a mess on my flywheel where the pressure plate bolts were