Fml

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
So...I went to have my emissions inspection done here in SLC and failed. Apparently they have new standards here that require a car to have equipment equivalent to what it had from the factory and the computer MUST monitor all emissions systems. My car failed for the following reasons:

1. I have a Magnaflow catted x-pipe which has two cats, but my car came factory with 6. =FAIL
2. Apparently when Modular Depot tuned my car, they programmed the computer to bypass the EGR and catalytic systems, ignoring them completely. =FAIL

Now the tuning shop here is quoting my 1,500-2,000 to make this car emissions legal.

FML :(

• Sponsors (?)

No... I have an 04 with collector plates. I had to send the great state of Ohio copies of all the receipts and pics of the car along with the application for the collector plates. They had a minimum of 5k spent on upgrades. I sent them about 12k worth of receipts for the blower exhaust cams wheels clutch shifter etc. It took about 3 weeks to get approved. Now I don't have to worry about e-check anymore. Check with your states DMV to see if they have a similar program.

No... I have an 04 with collector plates. I had to send the great state of Ohio copies of all the receipts and pics of the car along with the application for the collector plates. They had a minimum of 5k spent on upgrades. I sent them about 12k worth of receipts for the blower exhaust cams wheels clutch shifter etc. It took about 3 weeks to get approved. Now I don't have to worry about e-check anymore. Check with your states DMV to see if they have a similar program.

That's awesome. I could try that. The problem is during all my military moves I've lost the receipts for most of my mods. I might be able to pull up credit card statements though. If not, I've found a way that's a little cheaper. This shop is charging me so much because they are charging me for this http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalyti...rectfit01.asp?catalogid=14486&directfit=93348 which is going for over $900, as well as making me pay for a handheld tuner...which is odd and a little fishy to me because they have a dyno. Why do I need to pay a tuner shop for an SCT tuner? So, I figure I can buy an SCT tuner from americanmuscle, tune it myself, then buy the 4 extra cats from magnaflow and have an exhaust shop weld them into my catted x. That should cost me under $1,000, which is still crazy just to pass emissions, but better than 1500-2000. Right now I really wish I hadn't sold my stock mid pipe. I swear SLC is trying too hard to be CA....

So I found out today that SLC will give me a one-year waiver as long as I spend at least $450 in emissions corrections. So, since I need the car tuned for the elevation change anyway, I'll tune it this year and have it set to monitor all the hippie systems and then that will give me a year to track down a stock h-pipe. That's just gonna have to work for now I guess. Anyone know where I can find a stock h-pipe? I've scoured craigslist in nearby areas and areas where any family/friends live and can't find one.

Nope. The car was still being paid off when I got the plates. The registration isn't really any different either. It cost 5 or 10 dollars extra a year but there is no mileage limitation. The stipulation is that it cannot be your daily driver. I had to send them the info for my winter beater at the time and the last time I updated it, I used the wife's car (it's in my name). It's not a special title. Just a different plate program. It was 8 yrs old when I got the plates.
thats interesting that they allow that on a 9 year old car. Do you get any type of reconstucted title as some states do ?