FMS driveshaft hard to install?

cb18201

Oct 25, 2003
CT
i am thinkin of getting one but i dont want to take my h-pipe off , will i need to, also i heard i might need a torque wrench. is this true. how hard is this install an how long do you think it would take? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

easy as pie

take the bolts loose from the diff. that hold the ds on----12 mm 12 point box end wrench or socket.

slide the driveshaft out of the tranny, then put the new one in, and tighten the bolts back down of the new one, you wont have to remove the h-pipe or anything like that at all unless your exhaust is really messed up or something

jason

I didnt have to remove my X-pipe. It takes me about 15 minutes to jack the car up, rip the old one out, and install the new one. I just linked two standard wrenches together(open end through the box end) and used that for more leverage when tightening the bolts. A torque wrench is almost impossible to get on the bolts without an adapter and a universal joint will allow for false torque reading. So just link two wrenches together or slide a piece of pipe over a single wrench and pull as hard as you can while someone holds the brake pedal.

do u think its worth it? like with dropping weight and all? do u think it weighs alot less then the stock one or only a little? also does the aluminum one have a larger diameter?

The FMS ones weighs 10 pounds less and is the same diameter except it doesn't neck down near the U-joints. Personally, I could not feel a difference in mine, but it is there nonetheless. It is not the first mod I would do, but if you have done all the mods you can for under 200 bucks then it is a good one to do next.