FMS/McLeod scattershield and hydraulic clutch?

RaSMG

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
Central Cali
I'm putting a TKO on a 306, looking at a FMS scattershield (I can get a good price on) which I've heard is the same as the Mcleod. Can anyone confirm that they are the same and/or if the FMS has 'indexed runout' like the Mcleod unit does, ie no dowel indexing like the lakewood. The reason I'm skeptical is that I heard the Mcleod unit works with Tremec or T5 if you ever swap but the ford racing listing shows two different versions 'Tremec Scatter Shield M6392C' and 'T-5 Scatter Shield M6392A' so that threw me off. Anyone?

Next question might be more tricky. In searching I noticed that everyone runs the stock type cable clutch and in some instances an extended clutch fork is required for 'proper gemoetry' and release of the throwout bearing when using a scattershield bellhousing. I will be using a hydraulic master/slave cylinder linkage setup and was wondering if anyone has any experience hooking them up with a scattershield. It's basically a hydraulic master cylinder and pushrod connected to the clutch pedal, lines going to another 'slave' cylinder, and a remote fluid reservoir. The slave cylinder is mounted on the transmission for my application and the adjustable pushrod pushes the clutch fork end towards the engine releasing the throwout bearing similar to the cables. A company named JMC makes the kits for classic mustangs but I have all the correct part numbers and will be building the kit myself. I will be using the throwout bearing that comes with my SPEC stage 3 clutch if that matters. If you've never heard of the hydraulic linkage here's a few pictures that show how it works and installs.
http://www.autoworks.cc/65-70_clutch_kit_instructions.htm
Technically it's not a 'hydraulic clutch' as it uses a standard TO bearing, it's just a linkage system with hydraulic benefits. Anyone have any ideas on if I'll need the longer clutch fork with that setup?

Thanks for reading all that, I know it's long but I thought I'd give all the specs now rather than wait and have to answer ?'s later.

• Sponsors (?)