??? for 99+ cobra's with AFS wheels

SVT Chic

Aug 16, 2003
Maryland
I have an 01 Cobra and am putting on my 03 Cobra wheels (10.5 rear) in a few weeks (when I'm sure the snow is done) and I've been looking around and seeing that a lot of the 99+ Cobras use spacers for the rear wheels for 10 and 10.5, what exactly does it rub? the exhaust tips?? If so won't dumps fix that problem??

~Cheryl

• Sponsors (?)

The potential rub is against the IRS bolt. I am running NITTO 315s on AFS 2003 wheels, but only 17x9s. I am running special spacers made for 2003 wheels but the are not really needed for my setup. I got them in case I ever bought 10.5s. This spacer was created by USERID=UNDY on SVTPERFORMANCE.COM for 10.5 2003 wheels with 315s . Do a search over there, there is a huge discussion and pictures on this issue. The options are a special replacement IRS bolt with a different head, or simply to grind down the current bolt head. They got pics of this too. Also adding this spacer too, and these are rim centric, perfect snug fit. UNDY had them tailor made for the 2003 wheel like I said above. His early batch was 7/32 in size, so I am not sure if he ever changed that size.

John

The issue like mentioned above is the head of the IRS bolt.

IRS_bolt_touch4.jpg

This should help:

17x10.5 wheel + 03 Cobra, install w/ pics

Check out my 17x10.5 replica wheel and nitto 555R install with H&R 1" spacers: Lots of pics to help:

http://www.modularmustangs.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=15870#post15870

2004_2_11_Nittos001small.jpg

-JAson

wjfawb0 said:
The issue like mentioned above is the head of the IRS bolt.

This should help:

17x10.5 wheel + 03 Cobra, install w/ pics

Check out my 17x10.5 replica wheel and nitto 555R install with H&R 1" spacers: Lots of pics to help:

-JAson

I tried to pull up the page but it won't come up??? Is there a different link to it???

~Cheryl

SVT Chic said:
I tried to pull up the page but it won't come up??? Is there a different link to it???

~Cheryl

Here.... this link works:

http://www.modularmustangs.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=15870#post15870

I would be hesitant about using 1 inch spacers, that's just too thick. You could get away with a much thinner spacer that would be safer in the long run I would think. Of course this all depends on the width of the wheel/tire combo you're trying to mount.

Many Cobra owners have just purchased an extra set of the stock IRS bolts and then just milled the head down a little so it will clear the sidewall. Then no spacer is required at all. I went with the button-head bolts myself.

U.M.

Badstang00 said:
I am running that combo on my '03, without spacers. The rubbing occurs only under full suspension travel, like when it's on a lift. I have had zero rubbing issues on my car.

-Mike

Yes, but the POTENTIAL for damage or possibly a terrible accident is still there. I don't know how the roads are where you're at, but here in Alabama the roads aren't all that great. I don't want to be cruising down the road at 55+ and wonder whether that dip in the road ahead is going to unweight my suspension enough so the IRS bolt digs into my Nitto's sidewall! :eek:

U.M.

If you got your wheels from AFS they should provide you with two "button head" bolts(basically a socket head cap screw/carriage bolt). They replace the two rear IRS subframe bolts. If you plan on running 315 you will need a spacer too. Some people are running Nittos with no spacer and a little rubbing at full suspension travel. I have the button head bolts, narrowed rear subframe brackets and spacers and have about an 1 of clearance. Just be careful, like uncle meat said. On a lift or jackstands it might not rub, but that doesn't mean it couldn't. As you drive done the road tires get hot, they bulge out, big dip, any thing could happen. Some of the potholes in PA right now make my truck cry, I would hate to see what they would do to the cobra. :(

I am running that combo on my '03, without spacers. The rubbing occurs only under full suspension travel, like when it's on a lift. I have had zero rubbing issues on my car.

As Uncle Meat says, your are taking too much risk, those NITTO sidewalls are butter compared to street tires. You get airborne over a hump and come down hard, and ouch!

Get some 7/32 spacers for insurance. See if UNDY has anymore these are awesome spacers and hub centric just for 2003 wheels. I bought mine for like $90 from him, but that was many months ago.

John

Goto SVTPERFORMANCE.COM and send a PM to USERID=UNDY. The TERMINATOR section in that forum is pretty solid. Do some searches over there too in that forum for some information about these spacers too.

John