Roush For the love of God, Someone lay to rest the truth about the xp8 molds, PLEASE

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Guys, i've heard so many rumors, the posts constantly re-occur on my explorer forum that i help run. We've got a nice collection of the xp8 guys, but over and over people speculate, talk about, and get hopes up over the damn XP8 body kit molds.

Who here knows something that is a FACT not hearsay?

I've been told they have been destroyed, but now supposidly saleen is opening some shop and is going to provide parts for some of the older models, so yet again, people have their hopes up.

Please speak up.

• Sponsors (?)

Joe.

Tony told Mike and another guy to throw the molds in the dumpsters out back so that is what he did. They even argued about it. I don't have Mikes phone number at home but I'll get it for you next week when I get back in the office and you can call him yourself.

I'm sure anything is possible and some guy with help pulled them out of the dumpsters but I would of heard something.

Marc,
I believe you, you and i have had this conversation before, i figured you and and maybe a few other guys that know your stuff would respond, and then i could link the guys from our forum.

Marcus,
Have you heard the one about saleen not actually owning or having the molds in their possession?
Because they screwed the guy that had them out of money, and he kept them?

marcus95 said:
Joe.
Tony told Mike and another guy to throw the molds in the dumpsters out back so that is what he did. They even argued about it. I don't have Mikes phone number at home but I'll get it for you next week when I get back in the office and you can call him yourself.

I'm sure anything is possible and some guy with help pulled them out of the dumpsters but I would of heard something.

I've heard the same story from a few Saleen employee's that were around during that time frame. The molds were simply tossed in the dumpster just after they moved from Whatney to Fairbanks. The same goes for the SR mold for the 94-98 Saleens as well. Why they would have done that is beyond me, I've witnessed dumber things in my life, but to simply throw away money from the possible aftermarket resale is just stupid.......

However, with the Saleen store opening at the Irvine Spectrum and alot of financial backing this time around who really knows what is going on :shrug: For all we know, the body molds for all Saleen models could have been remanufactored and could possible be available.....That's just an opinion, so don't go spreading it around that so and so said it was going to happen. With that being said, lets hope that really happens so replacement parts are available once again. That way Brandi doesn't have to worry about getting into a car accident in her XP8 and me killer her for destorying the prototype XP8 :nice:

Joe,

Saleen had the molds in thier possesion. I saw them in the third building down in the corner at Whatney right before they moved.

Here's the thing. I started hanging around Saleen when they were in Long Beach my senior year of high school. I was fortunate to live so close and see so many things over the years. All of us that live in So. Cal with the overpriced homes, sewage in our ocean and smog in our air have the best thing going as far as being close to Saleen's headquarters. We can visit anytime and pick parts up at leisure. Over the years I have made many friends at Saleen. I spend all of my time behind the doors when I'm there. I have seen many things first hand. Some to be shared, some not.

We have a pretty good crew here in the Saleen forum on Stangnet. I know you guys are pretty tight over there on the XP8 forum also. I browse many a board, I just don't post. Most of the guys over on the XP8 forums are relatively new to Saleen and by that I mean 5-8 years or so. Just like I mentioned earlier I was just lucky to be around when a lot happened before the "Empire" came.

Stories travel fast. All I can say is this. If everything works out ( that being about 50% of the time ) for Saleen, you will be able to purchase new bodykits for your Explorers in the near future. Here's a hint. SSV has them on CAD already. Stay tuned.

s351rspeedster said:
However, with the Saleen store opening at the Irvine Spectrum and alot of financial backing this time around who really knows what is going on :shrug:

So what's this "Saleen store" to which you're referring, Robert?

Is this going to be a parts store separate from the Whatney facility or some boutique-type (aka "lifestyle") store that caters to the Saleen wannabees?

Hopefully it will be the former so we Saleen owners can purchase replacement & new parts for our vehicles. Unfortunately my cynicism tells me it might turn out to be the latter. :nonono:

Is that like the Empire Strikes Back, Marcus? :D

But I know what you mean. Saleen used to be a much more laid back atmosphere in the old days when someone, particularly a Saleen owner, could just leisurely walk around their production facility & take photographs of the cars being built.

Obviously I didn't live next door like Marcus & Robert so I don't have their initmate knowledge of the people & places. But I used to stop in periodically during the late '80's & mid-90's & either Liz or one of the other employees would let me have a look around.

Fortunately I retained the photographs I took back in the summer of '95 of the S351's being built. Unfortunately they were taken in the pre-digital camera days.

SVT Saleen said:
Is that like the Empire Strikes Back, Marcus? :D

But I know what you mean. Saleen used to be a much more laid back atmosphere in the old days when someone, particularly a Saleen owner, could just leisurely walk around their production facility & take photographs of the cars being built.

Obviously I didn't live next door like Marcus & Robert so I don't have their initmate knowledge of the people & places. But I used to stop in periodically during the late '80's & mid-90's & either Liz or one of the other employees would let me have a look around.

Fortunately I retained the photographs I took back in the summer of '95 of the S351's being built. Unfortunately they were taken in the pre-digital camera days.

Ha ha ha. yea, What I was trying to say was just what you did. Everthing that happened before the "latest" large round of financial backing and the 05 Mustang.

If Steve could have won a few more BIG races in the past and shut his doors a few years ago, the cars would become a bit more legendary like Shelby's have become today. Some can argue that point and say that the best years are to come but I feel that once there appeared four numbers on the front bumper that was the turning point. Still exclusive by all means but not legendary. But then again, you and I are a bit older and nostalgic about the whole thing. If I have to wait 20 more years for a fox body Saleen to be worth 100k, I'll invest in some more real estate and buy all the Saleen Mustangs I want then with all the other old guys at Barrett.:D

marcus95 said:
Ha ha ha. yea, What I was trying to say was just what you did. Everthing that happened before the "latest" large round of financial backing and the 05 Mustang.

If Steve could have won a few more BIG races in the past and shut his doors a few years ago, the cars would become a bit more legendary like Shelby's have become today. Some can argue that point and say that the best years are to come but I feel that once there appeared four numbers on the front bumper that was the turning point. Still exclusive by all means but not legendary. But then again, you and I are a bit older and nostalgic about the whole thing. If I have to wait 20 more years for a fox body Saleen to be worth 100k, I'll invest in some more real estate and buy all the Saleen Mustangs I want then with all the other old guys at Barrett.:D

Yep, we old geezers can remember when Saleen was just a small company, not the mega-corporation it has become in recent years. This development is the proverbial double edged sword. It's good for the company, its employees & investors, but it's bad in some ways for the average enthusiast/owner.

I still fondly recall my visit to their Hunter Ave. facility shortly after I purchased my '89 Saleen to exchange my owner's jacket for a different size. I went up on a Saturday morning & only one person was there. He gave me free reign of the place to look around. Too bad I didn't think to bring my camera as there was lots to see. A production line of the remaining '89 models; the Eagle One promo cars; Steve's Indycar transporter & Lola chassis race cars (those that weren't destroyed during 500 qualifying that year); a mock-up of a '90 model; a couple of left-over SSC's & Ranger Sport Trucks. I probably don't remember all of it because it was so overwhelming. I did come away with some free posters from stacks they had dating back to the '86 Showroom Stock race team.

And I agree completely with your characterization of the new Saleens losing their exclusivity once the production eclipsed 3 figure serial numbers. I also noted that the 2006 Saleens, at least those I saw while on holiday in Florida, were produced in Troy, MI & not in Irvine, CA.

Personally I wouldn't want to own one with a quadruple digit S/N or produced anywhere but in SoCal.