For those contemplating a Spec Stage 1 Clutch

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
When the shop (Brad's Custom Auto) recommended a Spec Stage 1 clutch I was very aprehensive since I read so much about "chatter" with organic material and harsh uptake (Although I would believe it with a Stage3, people were saying all stages chattered and engaged hard) This is a reputable shop that has been in MM&FF and 5.0 Magazine with smart guys so I tend to believe they know what they are talking about. However I still had my doubts since so many people on the internet had bad things to say about Spec.

I kept grilling them on Chatter, heavy pedal effort and harsh uptake. They assured me that none of this would happen. The head tech there has a Stage2 and the Sales guy has a Stage1. I was well prepared to take the car back to them if any of this happened.

Well, I got the car back yesterday and I am still breaking the clutch in. The result? No chatter, engages like the KC I had in before and LIGHTER pedal effort! I did not expect any of these. They were right!

Where is all this bad feedback coming from? Is the negative feedback from people who had bad installs?

On an important sidenote - I trust Maximum Motorsport's experience and tech knowledge. On their site, they state that it is the Kevlar material, not the organic material that chatters.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/clutchpackages.asp

• Sponsors (?)

I am a dealer so to speak for SPEC and generally all my bring backs have been due to people not doing the proper break in period. I have a Stage 3 in my street/strip car and it feels lighter on the pedal than the KC in my 95 Cobra. The Stage 3 has a slight shudder when you first take off during normal driving but after that it is smooth.

Just follow the break in period that they recommend before dogging it too hard and you will be trouble free.

VERY Happy with SPEC Stage 1!

I'm agree with you 100%. I was kind of apprehensive about the stage 1 after some of the stuff I read in different places. I put one in (my first ever clutch install) and I was very pleased with the result. It took some getting used to, (going from a stocker with over 100k miles) but I never had any shudder or chatter problems. It's been in the car for 1k miles and I have absolutely no complaints. It does what it is supposed to do--nuff said.
Phil

I'm very happy with my Spec Stage 1. It chattered a little bit for the first 50 miles or so, then smoothed right out. I've heard Spec clutches are fairly hard on the transmission, but my T-5 hasn't died ... yet....

I installed my Spec stage1 last spring. Did maybe 500miles max during the whole 2004 year. Lots of abuse and lots of burnouts. I never gave it the 500miles breaking period. It was more like 25miles. Now it is totally finished. It slips like you cant even imagine. it is that bad right now. But it was very good for the time it worked properly. I still feel it is a good clutch. I'm the one responsable for it being screwed up :nonono: