For those of you who have changed the gears...

Maija1

Nov 11, 2005
Guys, when you changed your gears and installed a trac-lock, did you have a tough time finding a place to do the work? I've been running into alot of problems with this.
1. The shop just says "no" we don't handle that type of work.
2. They say that they can't do it since I'm supplying my own parts.
3. Here's the best one: Today the mechanic told me that doing this to my car will void my factory warranty, but they will install the gears/diff anyway, but they cannot guarantee that the parts will work once I drive it away. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that place. I've found a shop that is located a bit farther away, but several people that I've met at the track say that he's really meticulous and does good work. I think that this may be my best bet. I just wanted to know how you guys fared when you did your install.

• Sponsors (?)

One place I called wanted to charge $50 more if I ordered the parts. Their prices were higher. They were too much anyway. I called some of my racer buddies and they hooked me up with a local place that builds race cars and they are going to do it cheaper. It's going to end up being $280.

Thanks, I'm going the same route, I found a shop that specializes in race car applications. Seems like most "regular" transmission shops wouldn't take on the job.

Maija1 said:
Thanks, I'm going the same route, I found a shop that specializes in race car applications. Seems like most "regular" transmission shops wouldn't take on the job.

I had a lot of issues trying to find a place to do it, my regular mechanic warned me of this, because the 7.5 rearend needs a special tool and ford charges $1500 for it. So I tried the local race shop, they wanted $350 to install if I bought the parts from them, then after I got the parts cause of thier markup, they wanted $550 for the install.

Called the local mustang shop, they wanted $300 to do it, only problem was they are only open three days a week and they don't return calls.

Next I expanded to shops that have dynos only. This worked well because if they can afford the dyno, usually they can afford the tools/staff to do it. So after a week of searching, my tlok, gears and bearings go in this thursday am for 3 hour install, total cost is:

-$255

What I did was searched in the yellow pages for automobile, than narrowed it down to performance/race shops.

It's a pain, but keep at it and you will find a place to do it. Oh, and most of the shops I called and BS'd me about a 8 hour install. Whatever!