For Those That Don't Go To The "tuning" Section...

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
I know that covers 99% of you, including myself. That place is a ghost town. Seriously.

Anyway, I've just started dabbling into tuning my car with a Quarterhorse and Binary Editor/ EEC Analyzer. I'm going to be doing a progress thread of sorts, NIKwoaC style, so there will be some walkthroughs, and hopefully, some humorous pictures. I'll make sure to keep my clothes on.

Anyway, thread #1 covers my experiences with my Abaco DBX meter, and post #1 is the gist of how to install one and play with its programming. Here it is:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/walkthrough-how-to-program-an-abaco-dbx.860702/

Enjoy, b!tches.

• Sponsors (?)

Cool, I was going to get a Quarterhorse back when I was doing my turbo build, but it seems like a good upgrade even for an N/A car. The price is awesome on them but I heard the learning curve was pretty steep, a step by step would be clutch. Surprised Moates doesn't make one themselves to decrease apprehensiveness and increase sales.

I've only lived vicariously through my best friend's attempts with the Tweecer. Ford's programing is so complicated compared to my own experience with the BS3. There are many tables that all play an impact on spark advance. With him, I set the tables so that it would always be controlled by one table to simplify things.

The basis for tuning though is experience knowing what kind of numbers you should throw in there in the first place. Sure, I know an N/A engine at WOT should be in the 13.0 range for optimum power, but what about at 3/4 throttle, or at relatively low RPM? 1/2 throttle? Cruise?

Now after you get the AFR where you want it, ask all the same questions for timing. Throw boost in on top of all that and ask the questions all over again. My biggest problem is my lack of tuning knowledge. The software itself in the BS3 is pretty straightforward.

Starting off with the EECIV just adds a level of complexity to everything. First you have to know what you want from the questions above, but next you have to know how each table affects the end result. What is the computer actually telling the motor to do?

I've heard that the Tweecer has a REALLY steep learning curve. Quarterhorse+BE/EA is supposed to be the beez-kneez as far as tuning an EEC-IV, but still has a little bit of a learning curve. I can't say for sure yet, because other than sniffing around in the software, I haven't done anything yet.

Everything for tuning an EEC can look a little daunting at first, but after you do some reading on it, it's pretty logical. Basically you just tell the computer what your injector size REALLY is, what your MAF transfer function REALLY is, then otherwise use all the stock tune and play with the variables to get the car to run how you want it. Basically I think for me, I'll just be looking to have near-stoich A/F at cruise and maybe 13-14 A/F at WOT. I may actually play with leaning it out during cruise to see what I can do for my MPGs. Ignition timing will be a bit of a voodoo; I'll probably avoid changing that as much as I can for the time being. I feel like that is really hard to know what is good/better/best without having the car on a dyno.