for those who've used night shades paint.....

inphiniti

Mar 15, 2003
Providence, RI
ill be tackling this this weekend on my 95... any suggestions? how many coats have you used? any prep work required?

also if u dont mind, pics to distinguish the color coat would be perfect...

:D :nice:

btw front clip of car is FINALLY being painted this week... cant wait!!

• Sponsors (?)

I used 2 coats of nightshades on my taillights but if i could do it again i would have just done 1. They were so dark i had to spend about 45 minutes wetsanding them to get the color right. Before you shoot them with clear, hook them up to the wiring harness and put a brick on the brake pedal so you can see how bright they are. Once the shade is right and you can see the brake lights clearly, hit them with 2 coats of clear. Obviously take them off the car when you tint them and do it on a flat surface so the nightshades doesn't run. I lightly sanded mine with 400 grit and blew them clean with an air compressor before i tinted them. Good luck.

i washed mine with dawn to clean any oil residue that could be on them then hit em with alcohol. Taped em off. I sprayed mine 3 times. but i didnt use a clear. i liked the dull look it had to em.

At night its fine. During the day, it can be "dangerous". Ive never had anyone slam on their brakes behind me, so Im guessing they are bright enough though. But Im always careful when there are people behind me because of it.

I usually don't knock ya'all's ideas, but being a Deputy Sheriff I think dimming/dulling the brighness of brake lights is quite stupid. All that just for a "look." Good luck you guys and I hope your pride and joy's don't get rear ended.

DSC00201-1.jpg

DSC00200-1.jpg

DSC00199-1.jpg

DSC00198-1.jpg

DSC00197-1.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00195-1.jpg

difference between stock and coat 1... not too shabby...
DSC00193.jpg

aaannndd done.... here are the end results... not too shaby, came out pretty good... thats about 3 coats right there... i figured 2 was a little light, so i was gonna do 4... but once i hit the third, that was it... perfect... NOTE: if it doesnt look THAT dark, it is... i had the flash on and forgot to turn it off