For those with a custom cam...

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
How long did it take for Ed Curtis or Jay Allen to actually get your combo and talk about a time table? Ed and I emailed back and forth a couple times, I filled out his form, and then he disappeared due to illness. He came back and said he would double check my form, but now he isnt responding. I then emailed Jay Allen stating my wants, and asked if he had a form to fill out. I havent received a response from him at all... With this going on, I started to lean back to supercharging with a stock cam, but honestly wanted to see what I could get out of my GT40P combo N/A. Do I just need to send them money up front or what??? If either of you cam gurus stumble upon this, please send me a PM; I am ready to buy! For those of you that are customers of theirs, how much time did it take to start the process?

• Sponsors (?)

not really an aswer to your question...but, I saw something recently about Jay Allen, business wasn't doing real good, customer relations seemed to go south. Might want to look around for that info....just passing info, no first hand experience with him. Might be why you haven't heard back...

-good luck

Thanks for the response, I hadnt come across that info.

Jay Allen "Camshaft Innovations" - Page 52 - Yellow Bullet Forums

there is the link... starts off great and heads south from there. regardless of whats going on, its really a shame. seems like people not only sent him $$$, but sent him parts as well and never got them back. make some popcorn and start reading LOL

never personally dealt with either of them, but i know Ed is located not too far from me in Coventry, RI. from what I hear, hes good people!

Whether its due to illness, or bad business by Jay, I think I will just stick it out with Ed. I sent him one more email stating payment is ready if he is ready, so well see how it goes. Hopefully Jay is ok though, I have no beef with him. Im wondering about Ed's health as well since he mentioned a month long ongoing flu.

Used FTI here. It can take some time once in line for your number to come up. If he was sick I'm sure he's buried then. This is his busy time of year..lots of motors being built..Def a busy guy.
I know he uses just email to keep the interuptions down or he say's he'd never get jack done.

He reviewed my sheet and we did a few emails with his specs and I had it 3 wks later..direct from Comp cams. I did mine this time of year to boot.

Maybe another email saying your good to go and you can Paypal the money see what gives...Sounds like he's buried from what your not hearing.

I called Ed for a cam when I re-did my 331 a few years back, he said 3 months. I then called Jay (before all the current drama) and ended up using him.

Check out Cam Motion since your not having much luck, they did my cam for my S-trim/T-trim car and I was VERY happy with it.

Well ... I got a bumpstick from Ed :D

It was such a long time ago ... Way back in like 02 :eek:

So much has changed since then ...
I don't see how I'd be any help now :(

I can say I got everything I expected and them some :banana:

The GT40 parts based combo has been done so many times :crazy:
You can find TONS of data on such a combo :nice:

I found this one (one of the best OEM parts based set of curves I've seen btw) in my files so I did a quick copy/paste for your review

Not a custom cam I know :shrug:
but
You can see what this guy did with an ots cam :)

Grady

RPM Snoozer HP Snoozer TQ Snoozer from StangNet
2250 111 261 1995 GTS
2500 125 263 295rwhp 321rwtq
2750 150 283 D&D Pro Hawk 302 block
3000 167 293 GT40p heads
3250 190 308 Typhoon intake
3500 210 315 Comp xe270 cam
3750 225 318 Mac 1 5/8 lt's
4000 242 321 Mac Prochamber
4250 261 320 Spintech catback
4500 269 314 65mm tb ported
4750 276 305 77mm ProM maf
5000 282 298 24lb inj's
5250 289 289 Mac pulleys
5500 295 280 homemade cai
5750 295 268 t 5 trans
6000 281 247 no tune

I don't think Ed will take your offer seriously until he has money. Send him money, and you'll get a better response. I got my cam through Comp Cams in about a week.

Kurt

Grady, thanks for that combo! I love the data you always have available. I'll be happy if I hit similar numbers as those. Ed responded back quickly this time, and is working on it for me. Our only hiccup is that I am trying to find out what springs Thumper put on my GT40P's. I thought he had said the Trickflow springs, but they really arent that great and seem insufficient for all the work he put into the heads. Once I get an email back from him confirming what the springs are capable of, we are in business. Im really excited to have made the decision to stick N/A, and will be posting numbers in the official GT40P headed 300 rwhp thread.

Good to see the data helped in some way Nick :D

I can't say for certain :shrug:
but
One thing about that combo

If I remember correctly :scratch: It was built quite a few years ago

Back in that time most shops were using the SAE cal for their
pulls which unlike today ... Most shops use the STD cal which
usually reads a bit higher

I lost TONS of posted stuff when :fuss: :bang:
my host site went out of biz :(
and
I lost the ability to easily and quickly post up stuff :chair:

But

I remember when I charted out that combo next to others ..........
it bested quite a few Aluminum head based combos

Grady

Those numbers do seem a bit high for an off the shelf cam, and not so special parts (unless the Typhoon and P's were ported). Especially with no tune also... Anyway, I found out that my springs are much stiffer than the Trickflow replacements that I thought he had used for some reason. So the money has been sent to Ed, and we have started to form a game plan. I just need to get the right lifters and pushrods yet. This is my first custom cam, and first engine build up, so Im really excited. Ive been wanting to see the potential of my ported heads also, so I'll be hitting up Bob Kurgan for a dyno tune once its together. Pretty cool that its working out right about the time I was ready to throw in the towel.

Just wanted to follow up on this for those who may do a future search. I just got back from Vegas after being out there 5 days, and the cam was waiting on my door step. Ed sent a tracking number, but I didnt really watch it closely since I was on vacation (I live in a safe neighborhood). So it took about two weeks from the time I paid him, until it arrived at my house. :nice: