Forced Induction Vs. Na Build...

Brian8891

Apr 7, 2017
Funny, I've always wanted a supercharger and run an insane amount of Horsepower and use it for an everyday car and this would be my chance.
My wife gave me the green light, as long as I didn't do anything "COMPLETELY" stupid I could get one next year (and to make sure it's what I really wanted). Thinking about it, I'm leaning more towards the NA Build.

Why would I not go Forced Induction...
Forced induction (Roush/Whipple). (The two front runners) / Possible Procharger.
670hp. I've never driven a supercharged car.

1. Fun factor. I think that running that much power takes away from mashing on the gas as opposed to an NA build.

2. Maintenance of forced induction. More crap can go wrong. Reliability which I'm sure is amazing, but again I have no experience with them except on youtube where someone is constantly breaking something.

3. I saw a couple builds of running a GT350 intake, (pretty much using Fords Power Pack 3) and running the 1/4 mile down into the 11's. Forced Induction cars are running lower times, but I don't know by how much, I can only go off of youtube videos for now and I've seen 10's.

4. Paired with 3.73 rear end, I'm already going to be running into traction issues and I think it'll be paired nicely with the NA build.

5. Weight the super charger adds

6. Resale. I think the NA build is worth more to me down the road. I personally don't go looking for used Forced Induction cars because I think people sell them because they are starting to have a problem with them. I know there are good people out there selling good cars with no mechanical issue, but it's a small belief that I have when looking at used cars.

Those are pretty much the reasons why I wouldn't want forced induction. I only want a supercharger because...

1. I've never had one before..

2. It's completely awesome to pop the hood and see a supercharger.

3. Insane amount of horsepower.

Things done to the car.
1. 2.5" Borla Cat Back Exhaust.
2. Steeda Subframe Bushings.
3. Steeda Vertical Links.
4. Barton Short Throw Shifter.

Going to add in the future.
1. Steeda Subframe Connectors.
2. Steeda Jacking Rails
3. DSS 800hp rated Half Shafts.
4. Upgrade the 19" tires to 20" (still deciding).

Torn:
1. Roush Supercharger.

Expected WHP range: 575 - 600

OR

1. Ford Performance Power Pack 3.
2. 1 3/4" Kooks long tube headers.
3. Tune (91)
4. Possible bigger fuel injectors if needed.

Expected WHP range: 410 - 435

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

If it were any other motor outside the Coyote, like an LS or something I'd say N.A. all day!

But it really seems like these Coyote Motors are made specifically for forced induction.

I have a boat with a GM LS 6.0L and a Magnuson S/C on it and I don't spend anytime working on anything specific to the S/C. Now all the other junky a$$ GM parts attached to it are another story.

Just My Opinion.

Once you get blown, you'll never be satisfied with anything less. My next Mustang (Coyote powered) will get a blower before anything else under the hood. Bang for the buck is just too good to pass up. Do you need the power....well, nobody ever needs it. The blower car is nicer to drive all around. If you're on the fence about it, just take one of your buddies blown Mustangs for a drive. You'll never second guess yourself again.

Some thing else to consider before you decide, most parts to upgrade a N/A coyote are factory ford parts, except cams and some intake manifolds are starting to appear, but they are basically glorified boss manifolds, they just cost a lot more. Other than the GT 350 manifold all the intakes lose a little on the bottom end. as for heads the factory ford heads are your only choice. The best flowing heads are the GT 350's but they are limited to the one set of cams made by ford, you can't put comp cams in the 350 heads because they have raised cam bores to accommodate the larger base circle of the gt 350 cams so they physically will not fit. Ford did this to change or alter the valve angles for better airflow and to allow for higher lift. You could always use a CNC'd set of gen 2 coyote heads or a cnc'd set of boss heads. They are the best heads that will accept standard coyote cams or comp cams. The right cams for your needs with a good cnc job paired with oversize valves will make more power than the gt 350 heads. Beyond that you are looking at custom billet cams but that will cost you $$$$$$$

Then of course you can increase displacement. Ford racing sells the 5.2 liter gt 350 block and special cross plane 90 degree standard firing order 5.2 crank so you can build your own 5.2, you could also have a stock block sleeved to get a 3.700 bore. In the end you could spend ~20K to get 600 crank hp N/A or spend 7-10K to get 700-750 crank hp supercharged, your choice. also don't forget turbos, you could easily get 1000 hp for 10K. Turbos impart a lot less stress on the bottom end so you can crank it up and still have a stock coyote live.

Can one of these Coyotes motors like what we have be bored out to 4.000 or 4.065

Some thing else to consider before you decide, most parts to upgrade a N/A coyote are factory ford parts, except cams and some intake manifolds are starting to appear, but they are basically glorified boss manifolds, they just cost a lot more. Other than the GT 350 manifold all the intakes lose a little on the bottom end. as for heads the factory ford heads are your only choice. The best flowing heads are the GT 350's but they are limited to the one set of cams made by ford, you can't put comp cams in the 350 heads because they have raised cam bores to accommodate the larger base circle of the gt 350 cams so they physically will not fit. Ford did this to change or alter the valve angles for better airflow and to allow for higher lift. You could always use a CNC'd set of gen 2 coyote heads or a cnc'd set of boss heads. They are the best heads that will accept standard coyote cams or comp cams. The right cams for your needs with a good cnc job paired with oversize valves will make more power than the gt 350 heads. Beyond that you are looking at custom billet cams but that will cost you $$$$$$$

Then of course you can increase displacement. Ford racing sells the 5.2 liter gt 350 block and special cross plane 90 degree standard firing order 5.2 crank so you can build your own 5.2, you could also have a stock block sleeved to get a 3.700 bore. In the end you could spend ~20K to get 600 crank hp N/A or spend 7-10K to get 700-750 crank hp supercharged, your choice. also don't forget turbos, you could easily get 1000 hp for 10K. Turbos impart a lot less stress on the bottom end so you can crank it up and still have a stock coyote live.

Nope, 3.700 is max with a sleeved block. The bore spacing is too narrow to get a larger bore. The old school windsor and cleveland small blocks had a 4.38" bore spacing and with the right aftermarket block you can push the bore out to 4.125" and the stock bore was 4.000"

Well it's all about packaging. Smaller bore spacing and smaller bores equate to a shorter block. The modular engines and the coyote are shorter than the old small blocks. But they also are more of a square engine, meaning the bore and stroke are very close or even identical. A square engine revs easily but also makes gobs of torque compared to an old school engine of the same displacement and does it at a lower rpm. The old windsor 302 had a bore of 4.000 and a stroke of 3.000, where as the modern coyote 302 has a 3.629 bore and a 3.649 stroke. For a windsor 302 to make 400 ft lbs of torque it would be a nasty almost undrivable monster making roughly 525-550 hp. I would rather have the coyote that makes 435 hp and 400 tq and runs as smooth as grandpas lincoln.

Oh BTW the bore spacing on modular and coyote engines is only 3.937" so as you can see a 3.700" bore only leaves .237" between the cylinders and basically a wall thickness of .1185" or just a hair over 1/8th of an inch.

Also if ford ever releases it the A52XS crate engine makes 582 hp on pump gas, but for now its only a prototype. It's basically the GT350 engine with a standard crankshaft and the cobra jet intake manifold. It has forged internals and 11.5 compression so it can take the boost and live.

Just saw this on the ford racing site https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS a few changes from the prototype, it now has 12:1 compression and its rated at 580 hp on pump gas. MSRP is 19,995, just what I expected.

Last edited:
I appreciate the input. I've decided on some forced induction. I'm heavily leaning towards the whipple.
Too bad the engines can't be built like the older ones, like taking the GT40 heads off an explorer for like 40 bucks.

That Whipple System is one bad $8,200 dude!!! Coupled with some longtube headers and you'll be getting some awesome power to the wheels!

That system is my choice also! I'd have already bought it. But my ole lady has her foot down about closing on this new house on the 6/15 plus what looks likes some kitchen and bathroom renos.

I appreciate the input. I've decided on some forced induction. I'm heavily leaning towards the whipple.
Too bad the engines can't be built like the older ones, like taking the GT40 heads off an explorer for like 40 bucks.