ford 302 block specs?

ppartain

Jan 7, 2009
i have a 306 bennett racing engine it is based on a 6010-A50 block. im trying to find out how many pounds of boost the block can hold? i was planning on around 8psi. i called bennett they said 10psi max but i also know mustangs forcing 18-20 in this style block. bennett said hes seen them fail at 8psi and live at 15psi.

also on installing a vortech i have 30lb inj in my motor now and vortech said i was fine with them and a fmu. i would have to by an fmu. i had another guy tell me i could get 42lb inj and get a custom computer/or chip and get it tuned and not need the fmu. any thoughts on fmu or not?

thanks, paul.

• Sponsors (?)

With boost I am at about 465 Hp and I have a 9 lbs pulley set up on mine but I have loosened the belt a bit and am running at 6lbs now.. (to cheap to get bigger pulley at the moment ... I am running 36 Lbs injectors at the moment and its great .....

what about tunning options? i think if i go with 42 pound injectors i can eliminate the fmu idea and with an anderson motorsports pmc or whatever its called i can eliminate the boost timing module. i think i have to back my timing back to stock and go from there.

Don't spend money on an FMU. Apply those funds to a set of 42s and a tune. For boost, you'll generally set your timing (vac off) to 10 degrees base and do everything else from the tune.

There are two major drawbacks to an FMU:

1. ramping fuel pressure up into ranges that the injectors were not specifically designed to handle (although they usually do anyway).

2. a faulty diaphram = picking up the parts your motor spits out from the road behind you

The downside to the tuning method is that pretty much any path you choose is going to cost you more than a FMU

As far as the block goes... I'd be more concerned about the motor's internals than I would the block unless you plan to exceed 400 or so, rear wheel HP. There's no magic number and it outcome largely depends on how well you combo is tuned. Skimp on the tuning and run a cruddy AFR while in boost and you can break at half that HP.

noobz347
its been a long day what are you calling an afr? i think the tunability of anderson motorsports piggy back computer would be the way to go. im going with 42's. what about boost timing control module? i thing the anderson takes care of that as well. i have forged internals so i think if i stay around 8psi at 5500 i should be good.

Boost is misleading. Guys with stock longblocks can make 20psi and 400 HP. Then there's guys with built engines making 10 psi and 600 HP. So you can't accurately say a particular block is able to withstand XX amount of boost.