Ford 8 inch rear axle

fvike

Aug 24, 2004
Mosjøen, Norway
How much hp/tourqe can they handle ? Has anyone any knowlenge about the Currie Enterprises Alumin8 differential carrier ? This article speaks nicely about it. Would a 8" /w Alumin8 rear end be an good lightweight option vs the standard 9" ? :confused: Pros and cons please...

BTW, I'm shooting at the 400 hp mark.

• Sponsors (?)

M-Detail built a 331 making about 400hp in a '66. It used a 68-up 8" with 3.55 gears and a t-5(z) tranny. The owner went through two center seections before they went to a 9". Your experience may be different, but I thought I would chime in since you have a 351W and will be making alot of torque.

i have blown 2 housings, 2 sets of gears professionaly installed, alxe and 1 auburn locker and i never used slicks when at the track!

i went from a drum to drum 8", to a disk brake heavy duty 9"- 31 spline by currie and lost time at the 1/8 mile track from an 8.0-8.1 to an 8.2-8.3 just because the more rotating mass. the good thing is i'll never break this rear end! :D

12sec67 said:
i have blown 2 housings, 2 sets of gears professionaly installed, alxe and 1 auburn locker and i never used slicks when at the track!

i went from a drum to drum 8", to a disk brake heavy duty 9"- 31 spline by currie and lost time at the 1/8 mile track from an 8.0-8.1 to an 8.2-8.3 just because the more rotating mass. the good thing is i'll never break this rear end! :D

Was any of your 4 broken 8"ers the Currie Alumin8 ? Would it be better for me to just go for the 9" at once, or should I try my luck with the 8" first ? That is after all what is on the car. Which is odd, because my marti Report says it's an 2.75:1 standard axle. I haven't been able to find any 2.75:1 8" axles.... but there are plenty 9" rears with 2.75:1 ratio. But the bell housing is definitely a 8" housing.

Following is a quote from Currie regarding the aluminum pinion support:

Well, basically it is a solid CNC'd billet aluminum piece, so it is stronger that way, and it also is designed to be like a mini-daytona pinion support by having a bigger inner bearing.

This support uses a standard 8" pinion bearing behind the yoke and a standard 9" pinion bearing for it's inner bearing.

How much does it actually help...well we are not really sure as far as numbers on paper. We've never broken the pinion support - but basically only because the pinion support is way stronger than the 8" gear case at that point. We would still only rate the complete 3rd. member with the V-8 style gear case, billet pinion support, and all the good new internals at about 300 h.p. max.

Even with all of the super trick parts we make for the 8" 3rd. member, I cannot honestly build one for you that I can assure you will not fail. They are nice, by all means, they are the nicest 8" parts on the market, but they are just limited by physical size of the parts.

To install the pinion support, you would need the support, the bolts for it, a pinion depth shim kit, a pinion seal, an o-ring, and a minimum of the new bigger inner pinion bearing - but you would definitely be wise to change the outer bearing too when doing a new pinion support with a new race in it.
Thanks.

Thanks for the answer. I found a code on my bell housing:
C60W
4026-A

Anyone knows what it means ?

DSC01337.JPG