Ford Brand Rear end gear question

Black1987Stang

Aug 22, 2004
Jersey Shore
I have a chance to get 3:55 gears that came from the Ford dealership cheap, they're not Ford Motorsports....Is there a difference? If they put them in cars and lasted for so long they gotta be as good as Ford Motorsports If not better, right? At least for warranty reasons and I know Ford Motorsports are known to be good for the close tolerances to specs . Anybody know anything?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a set of 3.55 Ford take outs from an '07 Mustang that I put in my Lincoln...they set up perfectly and all...the Motorsport gears are the same as Ford gears...but anyway...the Ford gears have identical part numbers as the Motorsport gears...just so you know...:nice:

Be aware, there is a TSB out for Ford explorers with noisy gears that calls for replacing the gears with new gears. Some of these gearsets have ended up on Ebay or for sale elsewhere. Unsure if anyone has had a problem with them, but gears are one thing i usually try to buy new.

With that said, i have a set of 3.27's out of my friend's 30K mile Cobra i want to put in my car. :(