Ford bringing back BOSS nameplate & engine

• Sponsors (?)

oh hell yeah, about time ford.
"The 5.0-liter V-8 crate engine will go on sale early next year. It will be available in a variety of configurations with between 340 and 500 horses of power. The base block will start at $1,759, with prices for complete engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000." NICE oh and good to see it will be a production engine not just a crate engine.

The article is a little confusting.

A crate motor pushrod 5.0L will be available, and a 302-cubic inch modular motor will show up under the hood of the '08 F-150 and later on in the Mustang.

Does anyone else see the end of the 4.6L in the Mustang soon after that???

Mustang5L5 said:
The article is a little confusting.

A crate motor pushrod 5.0L will be available, and a 302-cubic inch modular motor will show up under the hood of the '08 F-150 and later on in the Mustang.

Does anyone else see the end of the 4.6L in the Mustang soon after that???
Not really, Think of it as a 3 option GT........ maybe...... I hope.....

I'm sure most of you probably noticed, but just in case, I really wanna point this out, because it's important and if ya missed it, it may really matter.

The crate engines to go into the Production Mustangs and F150's will not be the the older style "pushrod", they will be OHC versions of these. However the Boss crate motors "will" be old school, I'm a little twisted about it, I prefer OHC technology to pushrod, reliability factors alone. However, with the OHC comes the limited room for really pushing the short block, with it's clearances and other bumps in the road. The pushrod will prevail because power and price are what matters, and the 302 and any variant, regardless, is a good a gasoline engine built, for performance. What they offer and the price range is absolutely amazing. We can all afford a motor, unless you're broke, no biggie, there'll probably be financing, that's where the money is, anyways, I'm just in love with the idea. However I just cant stop thinking about the 5.0 cammer....uhg, it keeps clouding my mind. I can't think, boss...engine...work...what....
Cammer $$$ Boss Cheap, bolts right in, comes with computer and harness etc etc woot!

The is absolutely a major step in the right direction for Ford, with GM and Crysler droppin' 400-500hp engines applicable in vehicles under 35k, Ford had better step up. Tho no doubt, the 3 valve will work if it sticks around, for anyone that has actually test driven a base GT, they launch like a bastard, and pull a hell of a lot better than the 99-04 GT's powerplant. Shed a little weight and it'll actually do just fine. But I think I'll be happy with the Mustang GT Shelby available next year, in, I think what will be a 330hp package variant of the present 3 valve.

In my opinion, "Ford should absolutely dust off the Boss name (Substituted for Hurricane due to hurricane katrina, woulda been a cool name, but....) and be absolutely sure the base motor is a 5.0, badges and all. Like what dodge did with the hemi, didn't change anything, they're all hemi's, all engines are, just a genius marketing project and with the daimler resources it's no wonder they have the money for research they never had in the 90's, to develop a car that anyone would even want to step into. GM, well, the camaro, we'll see, but it's likely going to be a 400hp N/A, but don't be suprised if the 400 performs like a 550hp engine, they're going to get techy on this thing, they will not mess up the powerplant, however they likely will foul up the platform. And with a heavy challanger coming into play, the camaro will overwhelm for too many reasons, I'm almost sure it will be a much better car. GM has the engines and they've spent more time competing with the mustang than crysler.

Another view than that of the first post of the thread, from Edmunds.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117351

IMO, 2010 will provide a -3000lbs Mustang GT on a sick chassis, with minimum 400 N/A HP that will be very hungry for the aftermarket. Plenty of variants to see 500, perhaps even limited Shelby 600+ HP monsters to be made for those who want the first full redesigned stang, in it's finest form, that is however if it's available in the first model car. It may take a year or two, we'll have to wait.

If anyone can offer some insight, from some other point of view, or simply point out what I've got the correct idea about, and that which I assumed too much, or maybe just me being hopefull, as an excuse heh.

Long live the Mustang. This is a seriously bada$$ step in the right direction for those of us wondering where ford is going with our pony car. Their attitude is reflecting that of the '03-'04 Cobra, that's the attitude I want. Just refined, which isn't hard, hire a german guy who drives an M5 to work every day.

:SNSign:

There's no question it is going to happen. The engine's will first find their way into the navigator and the F150, I'm expecting some kind of special editions, perhaps big money makers, or maybe just promotion, and a reasonable engine option on a base model, who knows.....I dunno what would be better. Anyways they'll be making their way into the mustangs as well.

Notables: "LAS VEGAS — Tired of playing second fiddle to the Hemi engine — perhaps the most famous power plant of its kind in the U.S. — Ford said on Tuesday that it is resurrecting its legendary 5.0-liter V8 engine with an all-new Ford Racing Boss 302.

A new line of Boss 302 crate engines will hit the aftermarket in early 2007.

Ford said the Boss engines can accommodate displacements from 302 to 363 cubic inches. The engines are rated from 340 to 500 horsepower. The automaker said the retail price for the Boss 302 block is $1,759, with Boss engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000 for the 500-hp Boss 331-cubic-inch engine. The engines come with a 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.

While the Boss is available only in crate form now, it is expected to find a home under the hood of the Shelby GT, the 2008 Ford F-150 and other special-edition Ford vehicles in the future.

Several SEMA vehicles include the new Boss 302, including a 2007 Galpin Ford Mustang featuring a 360-hp Boss engine and a Hotrods and Horsepower SEMA Deuce featuring a 360-hp Boss engine.

Look for "5.0" emblems to start appearing on the side of 2009 Mustang GT's.

I'm kinda happy ford is bringing the 5.0 back even if in name only. I'm a die-hard 5.0 Mustang fan, own one, and would to own a modern "5.0"

It's about the only marketing ploy that will compete with Chryslers Hemi engine...which is pure marketing and has nothing in common with the Hemi engines of old other than the hemi heads which a lot of cars have these days

CatmanJJ said:
Great then the tards will really start buggin us again if our cars have 5.0s in them.

:lol: :rlaugh: I STILL get asked that by people when they see my car.

"Hey nice stang man. Its a 5.0 right?" :rlaugh:

Guess anyone whos anyone knows what a 5.0 mustang is :) cause NO ONE seems to know about our 4.6s LOL

SteedaGTJ22 said:
:lol: :rlaugh: I STILL get asked that by people when they see my car.

"Hey nice stang man. Its a 5.0 right?" :rlaugh:

Guess anyone whos anyone knows what a 5.0 mustang is :) cause NO ONE seems to know about our 4.6s LOL

Yeah i get that too all the time.

Then when i tell em it's a 4.6L they give me a disappointed look or say something like "Why did Ford go to a smaller motor" :shrug:

I'm glad the 5.0 so popular. I remember one time i was driving my 5.0 Mustang around and was waiting for a friend in front of her house. Across the street some kids 8-10 were playing. One turns to his friend and says "That's a 5.0! Those are the fastest Mustangs!"

So i truely beleive getting the "5.0" back in the Mustang and other Ford's will be a good move in terms of Marketing.

Mustang5L5 said:
Yeah i get that too all the time.

Then when i tell em it's a 4.6L they give me a disappointed look or say something like "Why did Ford go to a smaller motor" :shrug:

Yeah i got the SAME dissapointed look when I used to have my 98 GT (which was auto). They'd be like "5 spd right?...."no its an automatic"...."Oh.....".

Good thing i was never asked the engine AND trans by the same guy, or i'd have to say "no its a 4.6L auto" I can't imagine the look i'd get then :p

Mustang5L5 said:
I'm glad the 5.0 so popular. I remember one time i was driving my 5.0 Mustang around and was waiting for a friend in front of her house. Across the street some kids 8-10 were playing. One turns to his friend and says "That's a 5.0! Those are the fastest Mustangs!"

Thats awesome! I would have yelled out to the kid "Hell yeah it is man!!" and given that little guy a thumbs up!!! :nice: