Ford CPO for Late Model Mustang a Joke?

JayP

Jun 30, 2001
Bedford, DFW, TX
I'm looking at the Mustang again for the fun/show/trackrat. I had an '01 Bullitt and loved it. Just not a commuter car. So yea- I'm hitting the midlife crisis. And I want a car that'll help me get chicks.:nice:

Searching for a car (or daydreaming) I found the CPOs. For example- a 2009 GT 13k miles with leather for $24k. Similar cars without run $3-4k less. For that I'd get a base '11 V6. But I want the upgraded interior and torque.

I could probably talk them down $2.5k but this is still a premium.

All I can tell is the CPO gives +3k miles bumper to bumper and 100k powertrain.

I've never had anything powertrain fail on any of my cars. Except the Audi and that was 104k miles. :mad: Usually AC compressors, suspension, etc.

Am I missing something obvious?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd know it was a V6.

And if I were up for a $24k used GT, I'd wait and get a 5.0.

But I've seen several '07-'09 low mileage GTs going pretty cheap- $15k to $18k. Add 15% to that and you have the same car CPO. That's about the cost of the 4 pot Brembo kit.

I think I answered my own question.

I just bought a 2007 GT last week. Paid 16.8k for her with 30k miles. She has 3.55 gears, shaker 500 and 18" rims with some nice 255 45 18s on all fours. Granted its the base interior but I can go with the silver horse interior upgrade for about $250 and get a nice premium look.

I used to sell Fords a year ago. Its unfortunate the CPO sticker on the car really adds that much to the price. In this cars case, its still under the factory 3/36 and 5/60 warranty. The premium cost you are seeing is for 40K worth of powertrain coverage. If you price the cost of 40k powertrain it is nowhere near 3k bucks. You said you can talk them down 2.5K and that makes sense as the warranty added to the car is not worth more than 1.5K. The inspections are not any more comprehensive than other used cars. The only benefit I see with a CPO is that you may qualify for a lower interest rate on a used car. Ford Credit loves to finance CPO's and salespeople usually got a little bonus for selling one. I don't see the benefit of financing a warranty. When you come near to the 3/36 Ford should contact you and offer an incentive on an extended warranty that you can pay cash for. Take your advice and find the similar car for 3k less and buy a warranty for cash if you wish.
Im with you in favor of the V8. Speed for speed the 11 V6 is a driver race with the 05-09 V8. Most girls don't know the difference between a V6 and the GT500. If you must go for the 05-09, go for a 08-09 as they should have updates. Also make sure you are within the factory warranty so you can get a ESP for a good deal.

I just got a quote yesterday on a 2011 GT with the automatic and security package.
After the rebate and A plan it was $ 27,835 before registration and 6 % KY sales tax.

$ 29,700 on the road.

At another dealer (not a Ford dealer) , they had a used 2010 GT -4K miles & automatic with a asking price of $29,000......WTF ?