Ford Motor Sports 5.0 HO Engine

Greywolf

Jan 29, 2019
Omaha, NE
Just bought a 5.0 HO engine. I've looked all over the net to find the part #, what year, etc.. Was wondering if maybe someone here can help me with it? The engine is brand new, complete and as shown still in the crate. I think for $1200 I didn't do too bad. The pics below will include the Ford part #.

Thanks.

f1.JPG
f1.JPG f2.JPG

Attachments

• f3.JPG
    f3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Sponsors (?)

94-95 style manifold. That particular Ford label is not current, so this has been sitting around a while.

No garantee it will have an e cam. You'll need to see if someone has an old motorsport catalog sitting around. I think it's a stock 5.0 HO engine for a 94-95 GT

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the info. I did get a number for Ford and talked to a guy there. Replacement engine for a 94/95 Mustang GT. He told me dealer cost was right around $3200. Discontinued.

Went down and went through some boxes the guy had and he did have all the pulleys though no brackets. Really only want the A/C pulley as I can't use the P/S for the vehicle it's going in. Some surface rust on the heads and factory exhaust from being stored in the plastic in a storage facility that he bought. (Can you say Storage Wars lol?) He also had a few other parts that he threw in for free along with a AOD transmission.

Which brings up another question. Can I use a regular AOD with this engine or do I have to go with a EAOD? I do have a rebuilt AOD already. I thought the only thing I would find was a 5.0 roller and was going to go with a carb setup on it. But, I'm going to keep this one the way it is. I know I'm going to need dothe ECU (?) for it?

I have a 1968 factory 302 4bbl in my current build which obviously doesn't have the electronics. (Being 64, I relate better to the older engines lol). Both have the 9" rears which are made specifically for the vehicles and I did locate a 3.50 LSD for the new build, to replace the 3.50 currently in it.

Again, thank you all for helping me out. And, I plan on sticking around and reading up on all that I can on this forum.

Okay lol, I have to be honest with you guys. After years of building Mustangs, 36 and a 40 Ford pickup, a 39 Ford Coupe: all with either 302 or 351 engines, I wanted to try something different. The engine will be going in a full custom, 67 Econoline short van, right between the seats. Now if you want to boot my butt off of here, I'm going to ask that you don't. There's a lot I can learn about the newer engines that you probably have figured out by my questions. I do all the work myself from mods to paint to driver or show ready. I actually feel better making this confession......

I also Admin a couple of early Econoline pages, and have just made a page called Building Floyd so that others can track my progress and how I do things. The reason for the Building Floyd name, is that it's going to be a Pink Floyd concept van using their Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall themes. It will be all Ford and as is the case with me; I give credit to people, websites, etc., for info and ideas on the builds I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Okay lol, I have to be honest with you guys. After years of building Mustangs, 36 and a 40 Ford pickup, a 39 Ford Coupe: all with either 302 or 351 engines, I wanted to try something different. The engine will be going in a full custom, 67 Econoline short van, right between the seats. Now if you want to boot my butt off of here, I'm going to ask that you don't. There's a lot I can learn about the newer engines that you probably have figured out by my questions. I do all the work myself from mods to paint to driver or show ready. I actually feel better making this confession......

I also Admin a couple of early Econoline pages, and have just made a page called Building Floyd so that others can track my progress and how I do things. The reason for the Building Floyd name, is that it's going to be a Pink Floyd concept van using their Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall themes. It will be all Ford and as is the case with me; I give credit to people, websites, etc., for info and ideas on the builds I do.
Nothing wrong with an Econoline!

I would like to see some more pictures of that engine, though. I'd be interested to know if there are some pieces you'd be willing to sell that you won't be using such as the intake?

Nothing wrong with that at all. We've got folks here with all kind of stuff going on.

Ive got a 88 econoline but it's not as cool as the " real " econoline. It's got a 5.0 in it and hope to be supercharged soon. I've got so many projects right now. None of them are as cool as a Pink Floyd themed old econoline with a 5.0 between the seats.

Good luck with the build. Post some picks of you progress and we'll help where we can.

Nothing wrong with an Econoline!

I would like to see some more pictures of that engine, though. I'd be interested to know if there are some pieces you'd be willing to sell that you won't be using such as the intake?

I'm picking up the engine the 15th, weather permitting. It's really sucked here in Omaha lately. I'd like to keep the engine stock, as is. Just means more to the build that it's an original engine with zero miles.

It also depends on how much room I have in the "doghouse" between the seats. There is a member on one of the pages who did it with a EFI engine and hopefully he'll get me the pics of the room, etc.

HP, I'm not so concerned with. I currently have a 65 Econoline pickup with a 68 302/C4 combo. Trying to finish it up this winter. Mainly wiring and reinstalling the custom interior.

All of you are welcome to the page. Just request membership. Right now, I'm doing the interior stuff. I do all my own upholstery also.

Finally got the engine home last week. Weather, etc., kept getting it delayed. A couple more pics. Found a bit of paperwork. Engine was sold to HP Smith Motors in Omaha 1997. They had a part of their company off premises that was HP Smith Motorsports and that's where the engine was destined for.

Now to ask for some more advice: The engine has the harness. What exactly will I need to get to have the parts ready for when I install? Main wiring harness? ECU? MAF (or whatever lol) sensor? Hooking it up to a regular AOD and would like to keep/buy/use only the essential wiring I'll need. Not looking to modify the engine with the exception of replacing the oil pan and using a set of full length headers due to my exhaust design.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: When I picked up the engine, he asked if I'd just take all the various parts in the shed. 2 AOD's, 1 C6, a full Crown Vic front frame/suspension clip with new suspension and steering components, a mint pick up seat, a new wood burning furnace, and a few other things. Furnace was sold the next day for $300, Crown Vic clip sold for $500, pickup seat for $75. Just put the AOD's and C6 on CL. Maybe, just maybe, selling all the parts will pay for the engine lol.

Attachments

• m501.jpg
    m501.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 2,180
  • m502.jpg
    m502.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 297
LOL. 24x30 with 8' ceiling. I get real creative when it comes time to making room depending on what stage of the build I'm on.
eside.JPG
eside.JPG
Please tell me that you're not gonna put pink Floyd themed murals on the van. It's perfect the way it is. ( well,..the plum crazy purple paint with the rear stripe might be more at home on some dodge van,...but ....)

Im 61.. I was born in Omaha. I worked for HP Smith Ford. ( for a whole month). And worked the counter at One Stop Performance for 3 years in the late 70's/early 80's
However being 60+ doesn't mean that you gotta act like you're stuck in the "Class of 72" forever.
IMO, Nothing dates a project car faster than one of the following...
Putting some little furry stuffed thing or model car on the engine, or anywhere near it while it's being shown.
Contrasting painted highlights on the engine...i.e. Painting the top of the fins on a set of old assed Cal Custom valve covers...
Having anything fuzzy hanging from the rear view mirror.
Having three empty one gallon cans labeled " Gas, Water, Oil" set up around the car while showing it.
A Sticker running across the top of the windshield glass letting everybody know what kind of car it is, or a Horse head decal with biceps on the hatch glass.
Anything airbrushed, anywhere. Especially Norse Gods holding swords up in air, while lightning bolts strike at it from purple clouds.

Now I get it,..it's your car and all,...and you may be a Van kinda guy,...and just like you, I was there when the Van craze took over Hot Rod Magazine...However,..I hated every minute of that..There were magazines for vans and trucks back then too.

Now a days,..it's rare to see a little econoline " pick up van" like you have there..and I'd proudly own that little thing.

But please,..don't point an airbrush at it.

Last edited:
Please tell me that you're not gonna put pink Floyd themed murals on the van. It's perfect the way it is. ( well,..the plum crazy purple paint with the rear stripe might be more at home on some dodge van,...but ....)

Im 61.. I was born in Omaha. I worked for HP Smith Ford. ( for a whole month). And worked the counter at One Stop Performance for 3 years in the late 70's/early 80's
However being 60+ doesn't mean that you gotta act like you're stuck in the "Class of 72" forever.
IMO, Nothing dates a project car faster than one of the following...
Putting some little furry stuffed thing or model car on the engine, or anywhere near it while it's being shown.
Contrasting painted highlights on the engine...i.e. Painting the top of the fins on a set of old assed Cal Custom valve covers...
Having anything fuzzy hanging from the rear view mirror.
Having three empty one gallon cans labeled " Gas, Water, Oil" set up around the car while showing it.
A Sticker running across the top of the windshield glass letting everybody know what kind of car it is, or a Horse head decal with biceps on the hatch glass.
Anything airbrushed, anywhere. Especially Norse Gods holding swords up in air, while lightning bolts strike at it from purple clouds.

Now I get it,..it's your car and all,...and you may be a Van kinda guy,...and just like you, I was there when the Van craze took over Hot Rod Magazine...However,..I hated every minute of that..There were magazines for vans and trucks back then too.

Now a days,..it's rare to see a little econoline " pick up van" like you have there..and I'd proudly own that little thing.

But please,..don't point an airbrush at it.
You forgot the 3 foot doll with arms folded leaning face first against the bumper while showing.