Ford parts guys here? Cant find the right power steering hose. Help! Leak...leak.

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
Well, my rack and pinion was bad so I changed that along with the pressure hose and the return hose.

But now the the return house out of the rack and pinion is leaking-bad.

I called everywhere and nobody shows it in the system.

I can describe it as a hose about a foot long that is rubber and metal and screws into the racj and pinion and its a return hose.

Any names for this? or part number? or idea where I can find it? thanx

• Sponsors (?)

Return hose is low pressure. If the fittings are OK, then cut the steel line and slip a regular 3/8 fuel hose over the end and worm clamp it hard. It's what I did. Has not leaked since. The pressure hose is just some hose in a box. It wont come with the fitting. I know. I just tried to get the return hose through napa, autozone and a small local store and all the guys just had the hose itself.

Scorcher2005-you are the man!

Scorcher2005-thanx. you hit the nail in the head with the hammer.

I installed it today and I am back in action.

I cant believe that little pipe costed about $30.00....and Auto Zone and Pep boys, murrys did not even show it in their system.

Thanx again as I was going krazy.

And ofcourse thank you crazypete for the inspirational ideas.

Scorcher2005 said:
Thanks. I got the part number from a PDF file i have that has virtually every part you could need. I could send it out to people if you/they want it.

That would be great! Send it my way, if it's not a bother.

I'm having a ***** of a problem with a similar fluid leak on my 92 GT... It's pouring out of both ends of what the Chilton manual refers to as a "breather tube". For clarification, this is a 1/4" tube that runs between the bellows on the rack. There is about an inch of play in this tube, and it slips out freely. This is a rebuilt rack with less than 100 miles on it, and all of a sudden, it's pouring all over my driveway. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd prefer that than cluttering up the board with a million steering questions. :D

skeletonpower said:
That would be great! Send it my way, if it's not a bother.

I'm having a ***** of a problem with a similar fluid leak on my 92 GT... It's pouring out of both ends of what the Chilton manual refers to as a "breather tube". For clarification, this is a 1/4" tube that runs between the bellows on the rack. There is about an inch of play in this tube, and it slips out freely. This is a rebuilt rack with less than 100 miles on it, and all of a sudden, it's pouring all over my driveway. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd prefer that than cluttering up the board with a million steering questions. :D

The inner seals of the rack are totally shot on that car as you are describing the bellows tube and all it is suppose to do is have air travel from one boot to the other!