Ford power lock actuators

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I have been rading the last post and other post about the aftermarket lock actuators and the failure rate of them. I know if some of us are lucky we can find good working used ones since we all now the factory units are the best and for the most part have last well over 20yrs. I was also curious if we could still get them from Ford brand new for those of us who wanted to spend the money on the factory part. I don't want to take a chance on the aftermarket ones so I called the place where I get most of my Ford stuff from and they do in fact have the part and it is readily available.

The part # from Ford for the power lock actuator is ..

FOZZ*66218A42A fit's both R & L 79-93 years ( changed over in 94)

Retail is $253ea. but Tousley Ford sells them for $167.31ea.I just ordered a pair you can ask for Steve or maybe your local Ford dealer will match the price just don't pay retail.

This isn't a for-sale add just given a part # and a source for an OEM part for our fox. ( I really thought it was long discontinued myself ).

• Sponsors (?)

Steeda Ford Performance Parts - Steeda.ca (Canada) has power door lock actuators for FoxBodies for sale for $29.17 (Canadian funds) that are made by Latemodel Restoration Supply.

I haven't checked it out, but I'm sure the price is similar at Steeda USA.

In any event, quality expectations here would have to be adjusted, I suspect. I'd see what the word on the street is about that.

I had an actuator fail shortly after I got my car 12 years ago. Upon inspection, I discovered that somebody had taken it apart and put it back together missing one of the three little balls that allow the shaft to move in and out. I got a similar used Ford actuator out of some other type of car at a yard, transferred the specific external parts, and it has worked fine ever since.

$167?? Whaa? They must be running short, I paid $95 for one at the Ford dealer I worked at. Just installed it 2 nights ago.. lol. What a pain in the ass. And no, I didn't get a discount. Thats what they were retailing for.

I took the solenoid off of the plastic hinge (it has rubber fittings on the end that allow it to swivel) . HAD to remove that part so I could get a new rivet in there. Either way, if you use a rivet or a bolt/nut combo, you'll have to take that swivel off, otherwise you will never even get close to getting a nut between the swivel and solenoid. It's so tight of a clearance. The fun part is getting the solenoid re-attached to the swivel while the lock pin is attached to the rod. Gotta make sure you adjust the rod so it is the correct length. I shredded up my arms doing this part.