Ford Racing Driveshaft

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
I just had my 93 LX on the highway yesterday and around 75 there is a slight vibration present. I could not tell where it is coming from. The car is hardly ever on the highway. Mostly a beer getter. It has an aluminum ford racing driveshaft and 3.55 gears. Should I change the mounting holes for the shaft at the rear end. I know that when you take off a shaft you should mark it and put it back the same way. Since it was a new shaft I did not put any marks on the rear end. Should I try rotating it?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd probably look at wheel/tire balance first, before missing with the shaft...

Unless of course there's a reason you suspect the shaft. You recently install it?

Reactions: 1 user
rotate the driveshaft 180 as Mike said, then check the bolts are tight. Wheel balance usually comes on between 45-60 and goes away at higher speed. Have you checked the air pressure in all tires

The shaft has a green or yellow paint mark and there should be a crayon line on the companion flange, they should line up and be in balance, if that doesn't work then try rotating as the guys said above.

Tire pressure is at 30 psi cold on all. The car is normally only driven a couple times a week for short 10 mile trips. The other day I took it on a longer trip. I drove about 45 miles before getting on the highway. I am going to try rotating the shaft and also check the rear pinion angle because the car was lowered when I got it and I have since raised it back up slightly. If I don't find anything I am just going to live with it because it is very slight.

Keep in mind that if tires get out of round from sitting, there's no way to fix it but replace the tires. They will balance out fine on a machine. But if they're not round, they will behave like an unbalanced tire, even if they are balanced.

Reactions: 1 users
6 months or less...nothing. Longer than that I take them off.

I've never really had an issue with flat spotting. I usually inflate the tires to max pressure and when we get a warm day in the winter I might pull it out of garage to listen to it idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car lowered? Either way what about drive line angles? I have the same drive shaft and I have a slight vibration too. Stock user control arms and the car is lower than stock. I know if you cause the drive shaft to bind it can vibrate.

Gear bangers right put on stands. I had an 82 gt years back, that I didn't mark front yoke, when I put new u joint on. I had a vibration above 60mph. I put on a new joint, rotated front yoke, went away. If you suspect tires rotate tires, shake or vibration will move to front. You can also find a driveshaft shop that can check and balance if necessary. Theirs a technique, I've never tried it to balance shaft, by installing a hose clamp. Try the other methods first.