Ford Strut Wrench

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
My Tokico gas struts have sustained a little corrosion around the nut threads on the top, and do not install like the used to. I am accustomed to whacking these nuts on with an impact with no problems. However, due to corrosion, I am no longer able to do this effectively. I have tried using a small wrench to hold the shaft in place while I screw down the nuts, but inevitably it eventually loses grip, and only distorts the threads more before I reach desired tightness.

I would assume there is a special wrench available somewhere to hold down the strut shaft in place, but I am unable to find one online. Does anyone know where I can get a strut wrench?

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Is there a slot in the top of the strut's threaded rod?
If so, try using a small leverage bar in the slot.

Tomorrow might be the day I brake out the welder and make a wrench that fits that top of that strut. I have actually just re installed the struts. One nut has to be tightened down a little more, and the other one I gubered up the threads while tightening it down with a wrench.

Kurt

PB Blaster might help a little. The torch is out though, because that control valve is plastic. It's not that I won't make the nut go down if I need to, it's more of just being able to find a wrench to make life easier.

Kurt

PB Blaster might help a little. The torch is out though, because that control valve is plastic. It's not that I won't make the nut go down if I need to, it's more of just being able to find a wrench to make life easier.

Kurt
i thought of heating the nut then putting it on... but with that you run the issue when you go to get it off... them illumnia's are a pain in the ass... im trying to sell a set from a ford probe right now.