Ford to reveal 2011 Mustang powertrain updates at L.A. Auto Show

Nah, the hurricane was the code name for the 6.2L V8 non-modular that ford nixed a few years ago and may be working on again. It was being designed for heavyduty truck platforms.

Instead they developed the 6.8L V10 which they make in 2v and 3v form. Its used in the e and f series superduty and was an option for the excursion i believe.

The 6.2 is coming out as a option on the F-150 raptor around spring time.. This has been confirmed.

the motor is renamed the boss now.. and will be the optional motor on f-150's and the base and only v8 for the f-superduty

supposedly a version of the 5.0 that is going in the gt will be the base v8 in the f-150

BTW this is why we are getting a new v-8 for the mustang.. because ford can not make enough HP to compete in the truck market with the mod. Over the next few years the modular will be phased out and retired.

• Sponsors (?)

While I don't doubt a small weight increase for the overall car, how in the world can the 4.6 gain 150lbs when going to a 5.0? Going to a 4V head and cast aluminum intake can't add that much can it? :eek:

I should have said 100lbs.

Justin01 said:
So, to make sure I'm on the same page here, the supposedly new 5.0L that's going into the 2011-ish mustang is based on the 5.0 32valve coyote motor right? The cammer motor? If that's the case, that puppy weights in at about 534lbs dressed. To the current 4.6L's 435lbs.

Link to the thread.

We had a whole discussion about weight over there.

The coyote is based on the modular block with a few minor changes. The heads/intake etc. are all brand new designs. This motor shouldn't weigh any more than a 1999 Cobra 4v motor does.

Quite possible that this coyote could be a short term solution based on the modular.. I have had no luck trying to find out stuff about this motor. The 6.2 we know is a all new design and a lot is known about that motor already..

Quite possible that this coyote could be a short term solution based on the modular.. I have had no luck trying to find out stuff about this motor. The 6.2 we know is a all new design and a lot is known about that motor already..

Here's what I am pretty confident about:

Same architecture as 4.6: FRM cylinder walls(?), ~92mm bore, 4V DOHC, 80MM throttle body, variable cam timing

A few of the above items are based on supplier or Ford engineer leaks. ;)