Fords in Euorpe *PICS*

98BLKGT

Founding Member
Dec 23, 2001
Chicago area
Why does Ford send the better looking models to Europe? Well, except the Mustang.

The FOCUS:

focus_1_big.jpg

3.jpg

focusSTmd.jpg

Ford MODEO: (Maybe actual competition for Accord and Camry and don't tell me about the 500)
new-ford-mondeo.jpg

new-ford-mondeo-3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

You think that's nice, you oughtta see the stuff that Ford puts out in Australia. Ever seen one of those Ford Falcon "ute" style car-truck thingies? Think modern-day Ranchero ... with RWD and a V8. Niiiiiiiice. :nice:

Ford doesn't "send" any models to Europe. European Fords are built in Europe. Australian Fords are built in Australia. The short answer is because standards are higher in Europe, gas is more expensive, speed limits are much higher and if they tried to sell cars with the same quality as their American counterparts, they'd have long ago gone out of business.

The Fords built in and for other parts of the world are better than the ones we get here. Emissions and crash test regulations are a big reason why our models are not that radical. These cars are better looking, better quality and better performers than the cars we have here.

That Mondeo is AWESOME to me...looks like a cross between an Audi and an Acura.

If we could somehow find a way to get these versions of these cars to the US without taking away too much looks or performance, I think they could save Ford.

I think its about $1500-$2000 to export a vehicle to europe, I wonder if it would be the same to import. And what kind of hassle it would be with customs, taxes, and registration. In the end it would be cool to drive a different car.

Those cars are coming here. The next generation Focus will be the same for Europe and the US. Ford tried to upgrade the current Focus for '08, but it ended up costing more than bringing the Euro Focus to the US.

The next Fusion and Mondeo are also being developed on the same chassis.

while that may be true, it would pay off for ford so much more to offer these cars as fords, not volvos. i guess when you consider the cost involved in making these cars USDOT legal, you have to position them upmarket to make your money back.

Man, if they could make a focus even half as good as a volvo, how good would that be for the company as a whole? ford needs to offer quality automobiles that people want to buy. i know that if the USDM focus was that good and still priced around what it is now, id sure own one!

and THIS is the car ford needs to bring to america to layeth the smacketh down upon the impala, chrysler 300, dodge charger and maybe even a couple cadillacs. a version of this car at every performance, luxury and price level would spell trouble for all midsize-large sedans!
rt.i.ford.falcon.BAII.xr8.rapid.sea.JPG

I think its about $1500-$2000 to export a vehicle to europe, I wonder if it would be the same to import. And what kind of hassle it would be with customs, taxes, and registration. In the end it would be cool to drive a different car.

Your right about the cost to ship the vehicles - but that's only a small fraction of the total cost. You'd also have to convert them to meet American safety specs - which can cost around $10k - plus pay customs, taxes and registration on top of that. So it's really not worth it.

It's the same way if Europeans want to buy Mustangs - they've never been sold in Europe - By the time they pay all the taxes and do the conversion - they'd pay (and some do) 40k euro for a Mustang - which is about the same as a new BMW M3 - Not to mention that gas is about 4x as expensive here (which is why you see so many 6 cyl., 4 cyl. turbos and turbo diesels instead of V8's) - It just doesn't make any sense to do it.

(which is why you see so many 6 cyl., 4 cyl. turbos and turbo diesels instead of V8's)
You're right but another interesting fact about turbos in Europe is that you pay taxes on a car based on engine size (ci/cc). One way to cheat the system is to have a smaller turbo engine with the same power of a big engine. Which in the long run has been pushing for better technology.
Still noting beats the smell and sound of my exhaust :flag:

You think that's nice, you oughtta see the stuff that Ford puts out in Australia. Ever seen one of those Ford Falcon "ute" style car-truck thingies? Think modern-day Ranchero ... with RWD and a V8. Niiiiiiiice. :nice:

yeah i was going to say the same thing! here's the fpv gt (ford performance vehicles...australia's svt)

gt_full01.jpg

this is the fpv gt-p
gtp_full01.jpg

gtp_full03.jpg

they also have some other cars in the fpv line...check out their website to see them all. ALL are SICK!!!! http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx

Those FPV cars are sick (in a good way) I heard ford is designing the new falcon left and right hand drive so we actualy might get the falcon here, I hope they dont give it a stupid name thow. They also have this little suv with a turbo v-6 and i think all-wheel drive in australia. Would be a good competitor for small suv's like toyota, nissan and a subaru forester xt-turbo. Im just tired of there lame styling (not the stang) they need somthing strong (not rice lol) and somthing that looks like it moves, and with dominance. (more testasterone) :flag: