Found My New Seats...

MustangIIMatt

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
IMAG1075.jpg
Now I just need to figure out how to make them fit...

They're from a 2005 Mazda RX-8.

• Sponsors (?)

Nice!! It's been a while, but iirc, those seats are pretty comfortable and supportive! A friend that I worked with bought one new in '07 (I think...). Thought I recognized them before I read your caption.... :cool:

Nice!! It's been a while, but iirc, those seats are pretty comfortable and supportive! A friend that I worked with bought one new in '07 (I think...). Thought I recognized them before I read your caption.... :cool:
Yup!

I love everything about the RX8 except the fact that engine rebuilds/replacements are pretty much a 60k-100k maintenance item on them. (Used to work on them at a Mazda dealership.) Found a 2005 in the junkyard in really good shape with the seats in really good shape, and told my dad "I'll find a way to make the things fit, let's grab them!"

Now I've got to figure out just how in the hell that's going to work. I'll probably give that a try Thursday afternoon.

Those brackets look tall though, I'm sure you can figure out a way to mount to II rails to the seat bottoms.
Yeah, I have 10 rivets on each seat to drill out to separate the factory rails from them, then I will be able to bolt them to the II rails using two 18" long pieces of 3/16" thick steel (went with 2" wide for strength and to provide more mounting options).

Yeah, I have 10 rivets on each seat to drill out to separate the factory rails from them, then I will be able to bolt them to the II rails using two 18" long pieces of 3/16" thick steel (went with 2" wide for strength and to provide more mounting options).
That's almost exactly how I did it, except that I kept the eBay seat rails, just some nice flat stock bolted to the bottom of the rails to adapt to the II's mounting holes. That also let me put the seat back a couple of inches which has worked great for me (I'm 6'5 so most of the time my head is touching the headliner). Reclining is good too. You can see the front of the rail adapter sticking out at the front right of the driver's seat.

upload_2015-12-15_23-45-6.jpeg