Engine Found problem but!!

After a very long and expensive hunt for my issue with my car today I finally found it.After changing every sensor,fuel pump, injectors , ignition system etc etc .... I decided hey why not change the MAF even though I didn’t have codes coming up all symptoms I read on here added up.I bought a new Delphi MAF on rockauto popped it in and never made it out the driveway!! Every time I’d push the accelerator it would stall or knock then stall so in other words my previous problem x10.
So I opened the hood unplugged the new MAF and she runs like a champ at all rpm although she now runs pig rich.So just so everyone knows I have a BBK cold air intake that came with the car , old MAF was a walker new one Delphi , old one makes her run bad sometimes ,new one makes her not even leave the driveway.....so I’m totally lost now as to why none of these MAFs are working . What can I do now?

• Sponsors (?)

Try to find an OEM one from a salvage yard. Or find one from a '94-'95 Mustang and use it to see if your issue goes away. You won't be able to use your air cleaner with the one from a SN95 Mustang but it will let you know if you're on the right path.

FWIW, I went and found a MAF housing from '94-'95 T-Bird, a MAF sensor from a '94-'95 Mustang and combined the two. It works great and looks factory, it even bolts up to the same bracket. It also increased the size of the housing to 70mm.

Unplugging the MAF puts the computer into closed loop control, meaning the ecu is using look up tables for fueling, and guessing at what the airflow actually is.
Unplugging the MAF does not provide any reliable data regarding how the MAF itself is working. The best it can do is confirm that closed loop fuel control is not working properly.
The exact same thing would be true if you unplugged the O2 sensor...

Sorry to give bad news, but most likely, the issue isn't MAF related. Keep working on it, you will get it sorted out...

Unplugging the MAF puts the computer into closed loop control, meaning the ecu is using look up tables for fueling, and guessing at what the airflow actually is.
Unplugging the MAF does not provide any reliable data regarding how the MAF itself is working. The best it can do is confirm that closed loop fuel control is not working properly.
The exact same thing would be true if you unplugged the O2 sensor...

Sorry to give bad news, but most likely, the issue isn't MAF related. Keep working on it, you will get it sorted out...
Unplugging the MAF puts the computer into open loop control.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
Have you pulled the computer and checked capacitors? I know its random, but these this are at an age where they give up the ghost and it makes the car do weird things. Just a thought.

These other members may be up on what you are working on and what you have already done but here's the thing, sounds to me like you have wasted time and money not fixing the issue.
I not as good a mechanic as most others on here but I do know where to look and how to diagnose most problems on the fox eec v system. You have to be methodical.
You should have started here:
I will say if you have replaced all the sensors then you likely have a computer or wiring problem.

The list gets to checking out the MAF, but please start at the top.
Delphi electronics are a premium, OEM supplier. I would suspect wiring or connections first.
If your BBK meter is not matched to your injectors rating, it will run badly,