Found the limit on a stock teksid 2v

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Well since I always post my carnage here, I shall post again!

This is on a 97gt, stock teksid 2v shortblock, heads are decked .030, so compression is a tad over 12-1. This thing is on a 175 wet compucar kit. the 125 shot was getting old haha, on .025 ngk tr6 plugs. also 93 pump gas.

mods:
ported pi windsor heads by me
unknown cams
eddy intake/3848 plenum/ls1 tb
longtubes, open headers
alum fly
4.56 (yes we aint no bitches)
03-04 3650 swap
alum ds
24lb injectors, with fp turned up a tad to be safe.
has 305/45's on the back. (does not really help)
and much more chit.

This car gets down on motor! car weighs under 3k as well. The gears were meant for this winters build (13.5-1, carb, trickflows ect.) so needless to say it has stupid torque on spray.

This is how it went down. bottle pressure was a tad low, heated it up got it around a 1000, and headed out. First hit on the interstate from a 50 roll in 3rd, sprayed from 3500. As soon as he hit it, it hit the limiter spinning. Second try in 4th at 65ish, shot to 6k spinning, hooked, broke loose again at around 80, aborted run lol.

Third run, hit it, spun like in 1st gear, and I think he tried to feather the throttle, backfired HARD out the pipes and shut it off. At this point we assess the damage, threw a rod! right under the oil filter housing there is a hole, no holes in the pan though. Although we will know the extent of it when we pull it tomorrow, not really like we care anyway, we have piles of modular stuff and we already have another shortblock and heads.

• Sponsors (?)

Doesn't sound like you "found the limits", but had issues with car and the way it was driven on the street. If under high boost or spray or both, I would just stay in it if the car is getting sideways, or let out if it is dangerous. You risk snapping belts, adding fuel to the intake, etc.

Best wishes on the rebuild! Only a reason to go bigger in the future!

Doesn't sound like you "found the limits", but had issues with car and the way it was driven on the street. If under high boost or spray or both, I would just stay in it if the car is getting sideways, or let out if it is dangerous. You risk snapping belts, adding fuel to the intake, etc.

+1 I've see them in the 1300rwhp zone

I wasn't driving, but I'm not a fan of bumping the limiter on spray lol. As soon as it was hitting, it would get really loose, so we were trying to find a good traction point to go from.

The rods on the teksid are basically the same as the GT. You found the limits of the stock powder cast rods. At 330rwhp, plus a 175 shot... you are well above the generally accepted 450 rwhp limit of powder cast rods. Sounds like you were somewhere around 470-500rwhp. The block has a lot more to give, and would have held on well above 1000rwhp if you had the rotating assembly to support it.

This is what a failed block looks like: :D
P1050200.jpg

After pulling the piston out:
P1060759.jpg

Yes, I cracked the block. It was ~25psi of boost and a 70 shot. I really should have done a half-fill on the block, but ohh well.

Attachments

• P1050200.jpg
    P1050200.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 162
  • P1060759.jpg
    P1060759.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 190
How did you manage to crack a 2.3 block?

Some of them had a core shift problem, plus I bored it .030 over. 25psi and a 70 shot doesn't hurt things either. It was actually a slow failure. It started by just using a little coolant and being off a few ticks at the track. Then one pass, it let go and still ran a mid 12 something. It puked coolant out the overflow can from pressurizing the cooling system under boost, and mixing fluids. The poor engine is tough though... I grabbed a gallon of water and drove her home from the track.. about 30min. I stopped once to top off the water, and aside from a miss at idle, she did fine.