Fox Bodies :)

JUSTaDR3AM3R

Nov 18, 2011
god they look so damn sexy! (hatches :p )

i'm thinking about getting my hands on one, i read somewhere there is a difference in 87-93? something like mass air or fuel injected. i cant remember.
should i open my mind to a pre 90 gt? or stick to 90-93?
and i know you're probably getting annoyed considering this the 3rd thread i made. but i want to make sure i make the right choice.

• Sponsors (?)

Mostly no... partly yes.

IIRC, 87 would have tilt-wheel no airbag. The 87 front fender opening is a smidge smaller near the fender spat. 87 would be Speed Density (92 Mass-Air)... it might also have larger headrests, but don't quote me on that.

87 and 88 were NON mass air (88 had mass air in CALI only). 89 was the first year mass air - and no airbag. 90 - 93 were mass air/air bag cars. 93 had different pistons then 87-92 and I think the cam was slightly different (could be totally wrong)

'87 like stated speed density '89 they went to mass air , 140 mph speedo & premuim sound was an option.

'90 1st year for air bag, knee bolster and 3 point seat belts for the rear and this was teh 1st year for the smaller headrests.

'91 "16 wheels added so this year thru '93 have a larger wheel opening for the fender and smaller front extension.

'92 pull out knee extension on seat removed, power seat for driver added has option.

'93 CD player added has an option. The '93 now had hypereutectic pistons

The cam change posted about came in late '88

basic info I added but really there isn't all that much for the GT after the aero redesign in '87.

IIRC there were 3 different cam profiles through 87-93

The info I remember was the change in late '88 was to the intake lobe shape but didn't effect lift in '91 they made a change to bolt hole drilled into the snout but it didn't change the cam lift or profile but changed the part # this cam was also used in the 94-95 5.0.. leaving out the cobra just going with main stream 5.0. but again this is what I remember.

If I were looking to buy another fox it would be a 89, mass air+tilt steering+140 speedo = win.
There are other differences but those are the big ones that would pull me in that direction.