Fox body 5-speed transmission swap

tarponboy

Oct 12, 2002
St. Louis, MO
I'm going to be replacing the transmission in my 91 LX (see sig). I have done a few transmission swaps with my friend, but on F body Camaros. I have been reading through the Chilton's guide but I wanted to get some input from those who have done this swap before as to what to look out for, in case I'm overlooking some steps or small convenience items. What suggestions do you have?? Thanks everyone...

• Sponsors (?)

Tranny swaps are pretty easy (manual at least) take out the h pipe and take out the drive shaft. unbolt the trann mount from the crossmember and take out the crossmember. disconnect the reverse light and VSS harnesses and the shifter handle. (unscrew shifter ball, pop the cosole trim off and remove it and the boot. the unbolt those 2 bolts and romove the shifter handle.)unbolt the 4 bolts that attach the tranny to the bell housing, then slide the tranny out. now swap everyhitng over to the new tranny (shifter base, tranny/exhaust mount, electrical connections) then do the revers of removal.