Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
We used aircraft stipper, YUK! I found that it ran down the inside of panels through the trim holes and after drying and flaking off it rusted the panels from the inside so we started sanding the paint off.
Now that the da method has been mentioned, we took off the paint with a da down to the factory primer, this was a long time ago, would you suggest this unless there is damage or is there conflict with the new primers/paint
This was back in the lacquer days

• Sponsors (?)

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
doesnt that stuff need to be neutralized after?

fwiw, i found aircraft stripper followed by a da and a couple wire wheels worked better for my at home use stripping the shell. obviously doesnt do a thing for rust, but for paint and body filler it worked great.
Soda blasting? No, no neutralization for it. Stripper can need it though if it gets left behind because the chemical reaction with the metal produces water as one of its by products.

Stripper does work, just a little messy and you have to be careful to remove all the residue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post, the new interface seems to hate me and wants me to sign on after every other blink of my eyes.

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
Soda blasting? No, no neutralization for it. Stripper can need it though if it gets left behind because the chemical reaction with the metal produces water as one of its by products.

Stripper does work, just a little messy and you have to be careful to remove all the residue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post, the new interface seems to hate me and wants me to sign on after every other blink of my eyes.
That right there is why context is important.

billison

I like tinted tail
10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
When I stripped mine I used a 7” buffer // sander.

https://m.harborfreight.com/7-in-10-amp-variable-speed-polisher-60626.html

For paper I used this cheap Paper on eBay. It was enough to do the whole car. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112539482946

What I did was use the sander and moved around a lot to keep The metal cool. When the edges would wear out i would swap the paper to my 6” da set to rotate only and finish the paper off. Just be real mindful of the temperature of the metal.

If at all possible, do this job outside or away from your work area. This will make a bunch of dust and it’ll haunt you and your children and your children’s children. My car had like 6 paint jobs and I’m pretty sure my garage is now worse that Chernobyl .

You’ll want to get it in primer quickly.

billison

I like tinted tail
10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Any suggestions on prepping a cobra grille insert for paint?

Scuff with 320 and prime and then sand? Scuff with scorch bright?

billison

I like tinted tail
10 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Sorry. Raw plastic . It’s the Dave Carpenter one from ford tooling.

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
Then nothing heavy to sand it. Use 800 grit or a grey scotchbrite at the heaviest.

Get an adhesion promoter and use it first. Allow it to dry on the panel (5-10 minutes). Whatever the ap manufacturer suggests. Then paint it like any prepped surface. Unless it has damage and you wish to primer it first to repair it.