Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

Yes and no. Sorry, some years did and some didn’t.

There’s also a plastic-dip type product you can get that is very trick. It can be made glossy or matte.

It’s not as durable as a regular paint job, but I’ve seen the results and it can look very good.

A bit cheaper than a full paint job too.

Let me see if I can dig up the name of it real quick.
Dave, are you talking about Plasti-Dip??? If so, it works great and sprays easy too. The only issue is that it will only last for about 3-5 years depending on how you take care of it. I currently have it on my car, and it is starting to peel off slowly.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Dave, are you talking about Plasti-Dip??? If so, it works great and sprays easy too. The only issue is that it will only last for about 3-5 years depending on how you take care of it. I currently have it on my car, and it is starting to peel off slowly.
Yeah, Plasti-dip, spellchecker got me.

I know it’s not real durable, but it sure can look nice.

well, my car needs paint.... to me it's not looking like it has clear... (unless it's be cheaply re-sprayed at some point) but I have a couple dings in the doors... and I have a new front bumper cover (which of course needs painted) and the rest of the paint isn't that great... is a single stage a little easier to do (since your not clearing it?) and would be easier to tough up right?

well, my car needs paint.... to me it's not looking like it has clear... (unless it's be cheaply re-sprayed at some point) but I have a couple dings in the doors... and I have a new front bumper cover (which of course needs painted) and the rest of the paint isn't that great... is a single stage a little easier to do (since your not clearing it?) and would be easier to tough up right?
I can't believe I just noticed your post, I'm so sorry. Life has been a little unpredictable lately and I haven't focused properly.

Single stage can be sprayed to look beautiful and can achieve a depth that is difficult to match with a value minded base/clearcoat refinish. Yet it won't be as durable as the clear coated refinish.

The eighties were a big change over period for manufacturers concerning paint. Though single stage paints have been used by major vehicle makers until just a couple years back!

What color is your car? A solid color stands a decent chance of being a single stage.

You're post is slightly vague so I'm not sure how to specifically answer you.

Again, sorry it took so long to comment.

Hey dave,
I’m wanting to paint the cast aluminum wheels on my wife’s Lexus , and was wondering if you would give me some pointers (or basically a step by step How To :).)
Also.. I Really liked that Gray color you used for Doby’s stripe- What’s the color called?
Thanks again dave
Hey Chris, I've ignored you again. I'm sorry. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk through the wheels.

About time we actually talked to each other!:cheers:

Dear Dave,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I recently setup a temporary paint booth in my garage. I used some regular household HVAC filters over the inlet side of two box fans. With a little stiffening of the framework I got it all setup pretty well. The cat seems to like it. He often sits in front the draped plastic door.

Anyway, I got the car in after having done some prep and cleaning and started taping things off. So far so good.

I'm an idiot so a buddy came over and helped me get everything setup when it came time to begin spraying the car. For whatever reason, one of the fan filters decides that it is possessed and refused to stay put on the box fan. It's the exhaust fan, so no big deal.

We press on without the filter and start spraying. Everything looks pretty good and we're waiting for some cure time before the next step.

My question is this:

How do I get the paint off the cat?

Reactions: 1 users
Dear Dave,

I recently setup a temporary paint booth in my garage. I used some regular household HVAC filters over the inlet side of two box fans. With a little stiffening of the framework I got it all setup pretty well. The cat seems to like it. He often sits in front the draped plastic door.

Anyway, I got the car in after having done some prep and cleaning and started taping things off. So far so good.

I'm an idiot so a buddy came over and helped me get everything setup when it came time to begin spraying the car. For whatever reason, one of the fan filters decides that it is possessed and refused to stay put on the box fan. It's the exhaust fan, so no big deal.

We press on without the filter and start spraying. Everything looks pretty good and we're waiting for some cure time before the next step.

My question is this:

Laquer thinner.

Dear Dave,

My question is this:

Please see the above post about selling on Craigslist.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe I just noticed your post, I'm so sorry. Life has been a little unpredictable lately and I haven't focused properly.

Single stage can be sprayed to look beautiful and can achieve a depth that is difficult to match with a value minded base/clearcoat refinish. Yet it won't be as durable as the clear coated refinish.

The eighties were a big change over period for manufacturers concerning paint. Though single stage paints have been used by major vehicle makers until just a couple years back!

What color is your car? A solid color stands a decent chance of being a single stage.

You're post is slightly vague so I'm not sure how to specifically answer you.

Again, sorry it took so long to comment.

Hi, my car is White.... it will never be driving in bad weather... unless I'm out and get caught in rain... and will sit under a car port with cover on it when not in use....

Eastwood products are fine. If you have an endless supply of money, get Sikkens. EXCELLENT product!

You Sikkens me.
0755.png