Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

We used aircraft stipper, YUK! I found that it ran down the inside of panels through the trim holes and after drying and flaking off it rusted the panels from the inside so we started sanding the paint off.
Now that the da method has been mentioned, we took off the paint with a da down to the factory primer, this was a long time ago, would you suggest this unless there is damage or is there conflict with the new primers/paint
This was back in the lacquer days

• Sponsors (?)

doesnt that stuff need to be neutralized after?

fwiw, i found aircraft stripper followed by a da and a couple wire wheels worked better for my at home use stripping the shell. obviously doesnt do a thing for rust, but for paint and body filler it worked great.
Soda blasting? No, no neutralization for it. Stripper can need it though if it gets left behind because the chemical reaction with the metal produces water as one of its by products.

Stripper does work, just a little messy and you have to be careful to remove all the residue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post, the new interface seems to hate me and wants me to sign on after every other blink of my eyes.

Soda blasting? No, no neutralization for it. Stripper can need it though if it gets left behind because the chemical reaction with the metal produces water as one of its by products.

Stripper does work, just a little messy and you have to be careful to remove all the residue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this post, the new interface seems to hate me and wants me to sign on after every other blink of my eyes.

That right there is why context is important.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
When I stripped mine I used a 7” buffer // sander.

https://m.harborfreight.com/7-in-10-amp-variable-speed-polisher-60626.html

For paper I used this cheap Paper on eBay. It was enough to do the whole car. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112539482946

What I did was use the sander and moved around a lot to keep The metal cool. When the edges would wear out i would swap the paper to my 6” da set to rotate only and finish the paper off. Just be real mindful of the temperature of the metal.

If at all possible, do this job outside or away from your work area. This will make a bunch of dust and it’ll haunt you and your children and your children’s children. My car had like 6 paint jobs and I’m pretty sure my garage is now worse that Chernobyl .

You’ll want to get it in primer quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Then nothing heavy to sand it. Use 800 grit or a grey scotchbrite at the heaviest.

Get an adhesion promoter and use it first. Allow it to dry on the panel (5-10 minutes). Whatever the ap manufacturer suggests. Then paint it like any prepped surface. Unless it has damage and you wish to primer it first to repair it.

Hey @Davedacarpainter .

I’m hoping to be in paint here soon on my little project. I’ll be painting in my home garage, so have some preparation to do.

1. Lighting. I’ve collected lights as I’ve found deals. I have the 2 mounted ceiling 4’ dual bulb florresant lights. I have 4 more addition like this. 4 dual bulb led 8’ lights and then 2 single 8’ led lights. My plan is lights up the walls and across the top to flood the area with light. I’ll specifically have lights at head, waste , and foot height.

2. For fumes/air control. My plan is to get is as clean as possible. I plan to hang plastic to help control what air comes in and goes out. I plan to have a few fans with filters pushing fresh filtered air into the work area, and another fan pulling air out and away. My hope is this creates a positive pressure work area that will push fumes and dust away and not into the area.

With my current set up I think this is about as good as I can do without renting a booth.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey @Davedacarpainter .

I’m hoping to be in paint here soon on my little project. I’ll be painting in my home garage, so have some preparation to do.

1. Lighting. I’ve collected lights as I’ve found deals. I have the 2 mounted ceiling 4’ dual bulb florresant lights. I have 4 more addition like this. 4 dual bulb led 8’ lights and then 2 single 8’ led lights. My plan is lights up the walls and across the top to flood the area with light. I’ll specifically have lights at head, waste , and foot height.

2. For fumes/air control. My plan is to get is as clean as possible. I plan to hang plastic to help control what air comes in and goes out. I plan to have a few fans with filters pushing fresh filtered air into the work area, and another fan pulling air out and away. My hope is this creates a positive pressure work area that will push fumes and dust away and not into the area.

With my current set up I think this is about as good as I can do without renting a booth.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Yeah Bill, one thing. After having painted Mike's monster I would say don't worry about filters on the exhaust. They will plug up quickly and be more of a detriment than a benefit. Fact is I wouldn't even use a fan for exhaust unless it's much smaller than what you use for an intake.

Lay out a drop cloth where the air will go out. The fumes will stick to the ground in that area.

It's just shy of impossible to create a proper positive pressure in a garage. You just want a slight positive pressure. To achieve this you'll get it all set up and you'll think you'll have it set just right. Until you spray. Any exhaust filtration will plug quickly and create an over pressured area. Meaning it'll knock dust out of anywhere it can and will have it floating into your paint job.

In retrospect after mike's car, I would create a free flowing exhaust that is restricted in size to limit the exhaust flow, yet allows all fumes to exit.

Be sure you have a serious baffling system for the intake. You don't want direct air from the fans blowing across the floor nor the car.

Oh yeah, if you have anything overhead, cover it completely. Mike had a bunch of pipes and wires directly above the monster.

Hey Mike, give Bill any insight you can remember too. @CarMichael Angelo

Ok @Davedacarpainter , one more question.

I’m wanting to double check my panels before I start any paint. This has been a learn as I go thing so I’m positive there are mistakes. I’ve finished out the panels to 600 grit. I wanna dry guide coat it and do one last go over with 600 to check my work. This should work right? If it’s all ready 600 it’ll come right off, and only stick to any mistakes or places I’ve missed right?

Ok @Davedacarpainter , one more question.

I’m wanting to double check my panels before I start any paint. This has been a learn as I go thing so I’m positive there are mistakes. I’ve finished out the panels to 600 grit. I wanna dry guide coat it and do one last go over with 600 to check my work. This should work right? If it’s all ready 600 it’ll come right off, and only stick to any mistakes or places I’ve missed right?
Pretty much Bill, yes

That will only help for a short period of time John.

You will want a water trap system of some sort.

Finding a filtration system that has desiccant beads to remove the water is extremely helpful. I have no idea of the cost of a large system, but you can get small disposable ones that attach to your paint gun fairly cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding, for any kinda water filter to actually work right, you have to cool the air down. There are several at home options, some built copper water traps, some will use an old house ac A coil between the pump or tank, and there is a home made cooler thing that I forget the name of. A simple thing just to get you buy is to run an extra air hose before your filter and coil it up in a bucket of ice water, then the filter .

And this small filter has a cult following

http://www.fisheyefilter.com/

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/sho...nzinator-water-seperator.html?t=1104443&amp=1

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7B5imLeYv0

Attachments

• 721E8565-5351-4DC5-B534-1D1A456ACDB8.jpeg
    721E8565-5351-4DC5-B534-1D1A456ACDB8.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
From my understanding, for any kinda water filter to actually work right, you have to cool the air down. There are several at home options, some built copper water traps, some will use an old house ac A coil between the pump or tank, and there is a home made cooler thing that I forget the name of. A simple thing just to get you buy is to run an extra air hose before your filter and coil it up in a bucket of ice water, then the filter .

And this small filter has a cult following

http://www.fisheyefilter.com/

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/sho...nzinator-water-seperator.html?t=1104443&amp=1

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7B5imLeYv0

Good lord I hope that girl's dad is a master mechanic, physics professor or Apple genius. Otherwise at 48 years old, doing gear head stuff since I was 10, I feel like an idiot after watching a couple of that girl's videos.

:baa:

I'm a techie guy and her 4 air compressor in parallel controls setup made my head hurt. Wasn't heartwarming at all. But whether on her own, thru a sibling, boyfriend (girlfriend?) or parent, it's cool to see someone under the age of 35 WORK on a car and do car stuff.