Fox Body Strut tower Rust

double3zero

Dec 11, 2007
Just wondering how bad strut tower rust is, is it repairable?

i found a mustang which the owner told me there was rust on the drivers side strut tower, where the tower meets the frame, the rest of the car is solid with fresh paint... is this a lost cause or can it be repaired ? i dont know the extent of the damage because the car is in another state, but its an orig 5.0 5speed notch and the asking price is reasonable

so if anyone can shed some light on this subject that would be great thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

On the driver's side it could be caused brake fluid being spilled on the inner strut tower. It breaks down the paint and the steel begins to rust. In most cases it's only surface rust at can be wired brushed, primed and painted. It would have to be examined by scraping the rust away and seeing what your left with.

It can get pricey if it's really bad or it could very mild and if it's real bad side the motor, etc. has to come out to get the job done right. It's up too you on wether it can be saved. A shop can cut out the area and rebuild it with metal or splice in a donor section ( it has been done). you have too look at it because it could be very small or very big and weight it out. If it needs a donor section or alot of work figure that into the price or if you want too walk away. when I was searching for my fox I seen some that where very mild at the seam where the frame/tower meet just some bubbling rust and I have seen some that I'm suprised the car is still together.

In general, the good news is that the strut tower on a Fox does not actually carry the weight of the vehicle because it uses a "modified MacPherson strut" front end setup wherein the weight of the car sits on the lower (only) control arm via the coil spring. All the strut tower here has to do is withstand the pressures of the strut itself pushing and pulling on it (the strut is a shock that also serves as a structural part of the front end architecture).

Most cars today have strut towers that actually have to not only handle the strut pressures, but more significantly the actual weight of the car (with the coil springs located up inside the towers).

All I am saying is that this should be kept in mind here. "Some" rust on a Fox tower will, all things being equal, not necessarily be as serious a matter.

If you can't personally inspect the car I would have someone over there do it - even if they charged me a reasonable fee - someone who knows what they're doing.

The strut tower plays a huge role. The top of the spring does not extend into the upper part of the strut tower it has it's own mounting pocket in the crossmember (k-frame). If you look at how the k-frame is mounted and the function of the strut tower in relation to the chassis alot of rust in this area can be a huge problem. Like stated before this can mild to wild has far as rust damage goes.

GFM5C29-1.gif

I just had a friend fix mine..it was totally rotted out on the drivers side..he had a donor piece he used...it can be done if u want it to be ....just can get pricey if its bad..depending if its really bad the engine and sometimes the whole k member has to come off to do it right...heres a couple pics of mine
from this
27y1vtw.jpg

to this
2zezfqg.jpg

I spoke to the guy again he told me the rust was only on the strut tower there was about a 2 inch round hole, he stated that there was no damage where the frane and lower strut tower meet, just above it...

That's how mine started out some time ago... now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the car. If you look a fox (or SN95) mustang the very bottom of the strut tower sits inside of the frame, the strut towers rust from the bottom part that's inside the frame and works its way up. So there's probably rust that you cant see in there.

I even entertained the idea of finding a donor piece or front clip at the junkyard, I found about 10 foxes... maybe 7 of them were there just because of strut tower rust... and the rest of the body on the cars was in perfect shape.

Unless you have the ability to fix it yourself I would pass.

I had to do both sides on my 93, I cut out all the offending metal, and replaced as much as I could with 1/8" plate. then rebuilt the towers with those from an 01 GT that the interior of my car came out of... With the G-load brace, convertible braces, and strut tower brace, I think it is plenty strong....