Fox Drivers What is your audio Setup?

1992 2.3LX

Dec 5, 2002
Ky
Looking to revamp the whole system. Looking to get all new speakers.
i am trying to decide what to do. 2 12's, new 6x8's, 6 1/2's, and trying to decide of i should cut out the 3.5's and throw some components in there.

just looking to see what you all have. i don't want anything that is going to shake the fella next to me, but i want to feel it.

i think i will put bass blockers on the 6x8's (because the grills rattle to high heaven) and definatly on the 3.5's and leaving pretty much all the bass from the subs.

• Sponsors (?)

some of this i have installed...some i'm still working on.
clarion dxz725 head unit , 4 12's in a sealed fiberglass box , 3 amps , 4" mb quart coaxials for rear fill , 8" mid basses in custom door panels , and psd216 mb quart components in custom kick panels. your best bet with a fox mustang is to ditch front speaker location. build some nice kick panels or put some 6.5's in your doors. if you had a nice set of components up front.....some good 6x8's and 2 12's...that'd be a good overall system

you metioned bass blockers....i'm not a fan of them cuz i think thats the cheap way out. haha.....get yourself a good 4 chnl amp to push the mids and highs....and get you a mono or 2 chnl amp for the 12's. as for the box.....theres sooooo many different types. i think sealed is the easyest and best overall sound imo.

All I can say is....

quik87 said:
some of this i have installed...some i'm still working on.
clarion dxz725 head unit , 4 12's in a sealed fiberglass box , 3 amps , 4" mb quart coaxials for rear fill , 8" mid basses in custom door panels , and psd216 mb quart components in custom kick panels. your best bet with a fox mustang is to ditch front speaker location. build some nice kick panels or put some 6.5's in your doors. if you had a nice set of components up front.....some good 6x8's and 2 12's...that'd be a good overall system

Dang - :flag: That's just out of control.
I thought I was doing good with 2 amps, Focal components up front and a single JL 12w7.... But yours is just crazy :)

if you were going to go with a component set up front and some 6x8's in the rear.....you could get a nice 4 chnl amp.....on 4chnl amps theres front and rear channels. components would obviously be on the front and rear for the rear speakers. look for a goos quality amp....look for some with adjustable cross overs for the front and rear. that way you can tune it alot easyer.

grodgers...i want a simple stereo....like yours but i can't afford it..haha
all the stuff i have is not really expensive. i've spent maybe like $1000,i install everything. i still debating on weather or not i want 4 12's or if i want like 2 or somthing i'm not sure yet. do you have a pic of your setup???

I installed..

quik87 said:
grodgers...i want a simple stereo....like yours but i can't afford it..haha
all the stuff i have is not really expensive. i've spent maybe like $1000,i install everything. i still debating on weather or not i want 4 12's or if i want like 2 or somthing i'm not sure yet. do you have a pic of your setup???

Simple is good. This thing has cost me a small fortune because I made the mistake of not buying what I wanted up front. Buy this, sell that, trade this... and took a loss on everything I moved up from - not to mention that I bought my initial setup through Crutchfield and paid retail $$.

I've installed everything myself. Fabricated the 6.5" mounting brackets out of mdf, heck I even made (I *JUST* finished it today - well, I just carpeted it and trimmed it out with corner guards etc. today - I've been using it most of the week) my own box for the 12w7 - had to custom make it cuz nothing else would fit in the trunk.

I had pics, but deleted all of them a few days ago - I'm about to embark on completely redoing my trunk (take the amps off the back seats and build custom carpeted amp racks to match the box). It should look good when I'm finished, but heck, that'll probably be a whole summer project with the speed that I work. It took me a week to build the sub box. Glue this. Wait. Glue that. Wait. Silicone this. Wait. Glue and clamp that. Wait. You get the picture.

quik87 said:
you metioned bass blockers....i'm not a fan of them cuz i think thats the cheap way out. haha.....get yourself a good 4 chnl amp to push the mids and highs....and get you a mono or 2 chnl amp for the 12's. as for the box.....theres sooooo many different types. i think sealed is the easyest and best overall sound imo.

Not a fan of bass blockers? All they are are passive components. Same components that are in the crossover on your Quart component set.

As for rear speakers, I'm not a fan... There's really no need for them in the car. Your soundstage should be kept in front of you. If you desire rear fill, I would look for something with an impedance of 8 or more ohms. It's an easy way to attentuate the rear level without the use of L-pads.

The 4 channel amp is a great idea, but what i would do here is get one with a good amount of power and use channels 1 and 2 on the front components, then bridge channels 3 and 4 to power a sub. Make sure you choose an amp with a good crossover section, and I would suggest component with a mid no smaller than 6". That will give you some decent midbass and enough midrange to keep up with the tweet without use of a dedicated midrange.

My setup consists of cdt 6.5" components up front powered by a 150 x 2 rms kenwood amp(I know i want a better one), 1 re se 10" sub in a custom ported box made by myself powered by a jbl600.1 amp. It get's pretty freaking loud for what it is and sounds damn good doing it. I'm in the process of fiberglassing some tweeter pods and custom door panels for the components to fit right and look good, soon as i finish that i'll probably go to 2 10's or 2 12's in the trunk with a fiberglass box. Also considering some 6x8's for rear fills but I enjoy having the soundstage only up front and dont have a back seat...

ok, here we go
Dash-mounted 7 inch tv with ps2
Kenwood electric flipface face off. Pioneer eq. 2 4 inch front speakers. 2 6inch pioneer side door speakers. 2 200 watt 6x9 rar speakers (inside of rear armrest)
2 8 inch 200 watt auto baun subs in back of seat with 800 watt autobaun amp. 1 15 solbaric in wheel weel with 800 watt rockford fosgate amp. autobaun capactor. it rocks!

Make sure you upgrade you alternator and ground wires.

This is the best set up for something simple but still good...

Get a GOOD headunit don't get an okay one, you want a highend headunit to start off with...( something with good impedance, look for high volt pre outs ( 5 volt + ) and any other options you would like)
Then a good component set ( I got boston rallys and they are a god set for the amount of money you have to spend on them)
- 6.25's in the doors
- tweets in the dash
- make sure they have cross overs
Also you don't want to run these off of deck power, get an amp that will power these, try and get a clean power amp as much as possible, i believe you check this by the THD% rating of the amp or the distortion rating of the amp.........

I personally didn;t even bother with replacing the 5x7's in the back, but I may just throw a new set in and run them off of deck power...

Then for bass, its really up to you what you want, if you want to shake everything in your car loose, or just have some bass to make the music sound good its up to you....

But what i would recommend is doing a custom fiberglass box in the spare tire wheel well, to save on space and it can be made to be stealth, for security reasons...
I went with 3 12's in a custom fiberglass box in the spare tire wheel well, it is a bit much because I have to sound dampen the hatch now....but I would get a top of the line 12 or 15 or even a pair of 12's or 15's and an amp to power them...make sure when your getting the amp for the subs that they are compatible.. if your subs are running at 2 ohm stable and the amp you picked can only run 4 ohm stable...your not going to get the best out of your amp and will probably run in to problems...

The biggest thing I have found for car audio is its hard just to start out with a deck and a few speakers here and keep mixing and matching, and don';t buy cheap **** it will only sound like ass and cost you more money in the end.... make sure the stuff you buy has warranty cuz something is always boudn to **** up...I would personally also get it installed professionally because if something happens, its their grief to fix it not yours...

Also go around town and listen to a whole bunch of different brand names, and see what you like see what fits your budget, then come back on the net and look for product reviews to see if its good stuff or write up another thread on here...and then go buy your stereo.. I wouldn't let the saleman talk you into buying this set of speakers or that set of speakers.,..

here what i got, 3.5 in dash, 6.5 in the doors and 5x7 in the back seat these are all the new infinity kappas, very clear and never distort! i also got 2 10' rockford fosgate subs in a box in the trunk, im in the process of making a custom fiberglass encloser. i also got a legacy 1000 watt amp running it all, never had a problem with this amp dispite what anyone says. i would highly recommend this set up, i love it to death!.

This is my system:

Pioneer DEH3400 head unit (it's about 3 years old, works awesome and I've never had any problems with it, but I'd like to upgrade to something with MP3)

Clarion 6.5" components in the doors (they have little tweets but I haven't installed them yet because I haven't decided where to mount them)

Pioneer 3-way 5x7" speakers in the rear

Pioneer 12" IMPP sub (also pretty old, but works awesome)

BassWorx ported box (I eventually am going to build a fiberglass box into the spare tire well but I needed something to get me by until I do that)

Rockford 200s amp (powers just the sub, the speakers all run off the head unit)

Future plans are to build the sub into the spare tire well, install the tweeters, buy an amp for the speakers and a new head unit. It was a very very cheap system, but it does the job, lots of good bass, doesn't destroy my ears but is loud enough to pump it out. ;)

low grade ya, but ive had them over 2 years now and ive never had a overheating problem, there no distortion, or buzzing (my old amp use to do this), personaly ive never had a problem so i see no reason to not get them.