Foxbody junkyard direct replacement axles

Foxslider

im not that much of a idiot
Oct 25, 2019
Houston, TX
So i put her into a curb lastnight while drifting and bent an axle (lolol), and the backing plate for the drum...

Any 5.0 (8.8) 79-93 axle will work?

What other cars is it the same on?

Preciate some good input.
20200418_121559.jpg
20200418_121606.jpg 20200418_121624.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Perfect time to do 5 lug conversion.

I've never seen a car in the junk yard that had a 4 lug axle that would fit a mustang....other than a mustang. I think the 7.5 and 8.8 axles are the same. They are both 28 spline. The backing plates are the same too.

Interesting on the 7.5/8.8 being same axles. Didnt think they would be. Ya i wish i could do 5 lug, but staying cheap right now. Just found a 93 cobra axle local i hope this guy will sell me.

Username foxslider put it in a curb, no way!

Seriously though, if you’re near NYC and can wait a month or so I can give you my stock axles/drum setup off my 89 as I’m going 5 lug last week in May. Would be pickup only though, but free (accepting beer donations though)

• Hell Yeah!
You can swap an entire sn/95 8.8 in. Direct replacement. Disc brakes and 5 lug rear in one shot. I have found those rear ends before for $100 at the scrap yard, you would just need 5 lug rims for the rear.

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
You can swap an entire sn/95 8.8 in. Direct replacement. Disc brakes and 5 lug rear in one shot. I have found those rear ends before for $100 at the scrap yard, you would just need 5 lug rims for the rear.

Chris

Last time I checked, MPS was selling complete axles for $550. Moser axles are $200 and change. I'd take the opportunity to upgrade and not spend all my time hunting around junkyards hoping for an axle that isn't worn at the bearing face, or the wrong size. If you desperate, put an ISO on the swap page or any facebook group for a used axle. People are upgrading to alloy axles all the time, and basically throwing away their stock ones. I have tossed several sets in the scrap metal pile myself.

Kurt

If it's just an axle shaft you can buy them at rockauto.com.

5-lug is still expensive when you figure needing new wheels and tires, plus at minimum front rotors from the corresponding vehicle.

I checked out rock auto. Looks like $100. Ill get one from LMR probably if i dont find one soon. Surprised cant find one from someone upgrading. i got a ad on local fb page, no luck yet.

Ya the 5 lug disc swap would be sweet. Would work nice w/ a hydro E brake setup the car needs. I got a welded diff and gears id have to swap over and wheels, but I have to be cheap for now.

I beat the backing plate back good enough i think. But i will let you know if not. Preciate it!

Ya, i need to cage it badly for safety. Also harness, race seat.

I was like 30-45 degrees to the curb, but ya, that is true. You hit it parallel at 20mph, i think it would be enough to roll it. Id say i was about 10-15 mph. Havent really thought about it the rollin part, cause i try to operate pretty safe. But i get greedy for faster bigger lines. It was semi dark in that spot, and the curb comes out way far, somn happened and i mis judged/didnt see it and calculate for it and i was trying hit a real particular line that does come close to the curb and in between a speed bump. Id say 25ft between speed bump and curb at 20-25mph. But i was like a car and a half too deep on the line. LOL. Saw the curb, felt my speed of slide, was like fck when i was 15ft away and it came into vision. Lol.

Actually i started to spin out was the problem, B/c the apex area is kind of a crest up and down, real minor, but just bearly upset the suspension/ maybe even a slick spot also (or driver error, really all driver error, just had to much sauce on it haha).

Went with a stock used axle on ebay. Was the only one listed if i remember correctly. $60 shipped. I'll have her up and sliding by next rainfall. Well the pads, like 1/5th of the brake material part broke off of them, so ill test drive it and see how it feels. Will throw new pads on, again, soon either way unless it feels fine for a while.

No. Gonna buy a new/used one someone has local luckily. It was leaky anyway from peeling chrome.. i had it ground and leaked a lot slower. I was gonna replace it a couple weeks ago, then it kind of stopped leaking. Then i did this. Lol.