Frame rail/torque box/firewall replacement help

68Rustangs

Oct 5, 2007
Sun Prarie WI
When replacing the frame rails after the new torque boxes are installed does the new firewall need to be in first? Or does the frame rail weld just to the box and then the toeboards that go over the torque boxes? In other words do the frame rails weld to the firewall at all? And can you re-use the old shock towers after removing them as long as there is no cracks or rust damage? And do you think i even need to replace the firewall or will the toe boards cover the missing steel or a pair of firewall to floorboard pannels do the trick? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 590
  • Sponsors (?)

holy cow...Id just find a new project.

The front frame rails have a lip that weld to the firewall if I remember correctly. If I were you, Id just build a new frame rail that goes from the back ones all the way forward. Or heck, just cut off the old frame rails and build a full chassis to bolt the car to

im trying to build a gt/cs clone and since this car is pretty rusty i figured it would be a good challenge anyway.not doing it to expect to turn around and sell it just for fun and to build a mustang the way i would want it.besides,good unibodies are hard to come by in wisconsin unless you know of any. and i was gonna go with the mustang II front end anyway so i would be cutting most of the front up anyway.

im trying to build a gt/cs clone and since this car is pretty rusty i figured it would be a good challenge anyway.not doing it to expect to turn around and sell it just for fun and to build a mustang the way i would want it.besides,good unibodies are hard to come by in wisconsin unless you know of any. and i was gonna go with the mustang II front end anyway so i would be cutting most of the front up anyway.

you should really look into a full chassis then... There is a company that builds a box frame chassis with a mustang II front suspension and I think a 4 link rear. There is a ton of benefits to doing that... building a car off a frame is so much nicer than trying to work on a unibody.

I'll try and answer your question. I have replaced the floor pans before on different cars. I think the firewall will be fine. The toe board will cover most if not all of that. If it does not, I just used the sheetmetal left over from trimming the floor pan to weld in between the toe board and the firewall. But I think I would try and do the frame rails first. Just remember to measure EVERYTHING a couple of times before cutting anything. I also would take a bunch of snapshots.

You're right about that. I looked at mustangs here in WI, IL and MN before saying enough's enough and buying one in Phoenix. Even though you pay more up front for a nicer car, you come out ahead in the long run on labor if you're paying a shop to do the rust repair. My 67 fastback was just a roller when I bought it 4 years ago, but still cost less than half of what Dynacorn wants for a new reproduction shell now.

Chris

I know i could probably travel a bit and buy a better unibody but i want to really go deep into replacing these parts just for the expirence and to say i can. Whats the worst that is gonna happen anyway. If it dosent work out ill just re sell whatever parts i bought for it. The frame rails and boxes are cheap anyway.And most of the other sheetmetal parts for that matter too.