Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Yeah I ordered the parts today, it's all getting replaced. Only thing I am reusing is the flywheel (its new) and the bellhousing.
Pivot ball, clutch fork, clutch assembly, transmission, cable, FWA, quadrant will all be new.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah I ordered the parts today, it's all getting replaced. Only thing I am reusing is the flywheel (its new) and the bellhousing.
Pivot ball, clutch fork, clutch assembly, transmission, cable, FWA, quadrant will all be new.
And all of this new clutch stuff will work with a TKO after you start destroying the T-5 over and over again I'm guessing?

Nope. Most of it will work fine when I buy the A5 gearset to build an indestructible t5. Will need a 26spline clutch when I go that route.
Cmon Steve...now your talking All crazy and sht..
There is no such thing as an indestructible ( any ford trans that has a 5 at the end) all of your hopes and dreams for trans longevity will be scattered chunks of aluminum and gear oil, just as soon as you put a set of drag radials, a drag strip, 5000 rpm and 2" inches of left foot movement to the left.

An Indestructible t5......:rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh: Thanks...I needed that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
No aluminum chunks with this....

Screenshot_20180407-202425.png

Christmas is coming and my wife asked me what I would like. I told her I want the new console with the cup holders LMR is selling. I showed it to her and she thinks it's a cool upgrade to what I have now. The plan is to integrate a battery backup (like one of those phone charger packs) into the console using the now obsolete cig lighter. The spot for the phone on the console will be my charging station, I plan to fit one of those inductive chargers under the console and secure it with adhesive. This way the phone will charge all the time.

Second plan is an audio update, the head unit in the car is old, really old. So I was thinking about bringing it up to date with an double din android based radio. This would allow me to integrate a backup camera, GPS navigation, bluetooth ect. It is wifi enabled so I can download my music playlists at home. Oh my favorite part, it screen mirrors my phone like my new F150 does. It even has can canbus. .. I dont need it but it does.

Thoughts?

How much stronger can you make a T5 with this case?
I don't know definitively how much stronger but I can tell you this:

I bought an A5 from Astro back in January and when I originally ordered it they rated it at 575tq and 600hp with the stock T5 case.

They happened to get a g-force case in stock before they built mine and Tony reached out and asked if I wanted it so of course I said yes. They rate the A5 with g-force case at 600tq and 650hp.

By all accounts the g-force case is much stronger than the stock one, but it seems based on the bump in capacity from Astro the biggest factor with the A5 is the much stronger and beefier gear set.

How much stronger can you make a T5 with this case?

The problem with a t5 has always been with case flex playing a major role. G force t5s are rated at 600hp and 500ft.lbs. There is more involved than just the case ( special gear sets ). The case and a steel bearing retainer have to be worth a bunch. The 10 spline input also has been known to twist in some applications. Upgrade the input, bearing retainer, and case and you'll have something a lot stronger than the t5z rated at 330ft.lbs.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem with a t5 has always been with case flex playing a major role. G force t5s are rated at 600hp and 500ft.lbs. There is more involved than just the case ( special gear sets ). The case and a steel bearing retainer have to be worth a bunch. The 10 spline input also has been known to twist in some applications. Upgrade the input, bearing retainer, and case and you'll have something a lot stronger than the t5z rated at 330ft.lbs.

Makes sense, I always assumed once I started to make more power I would just go with a TKO, but this seems to be a decent option as well.

Today was a great example of how things can go wrong quickly..... It all started off just fine of course, drove the car down to meet Kyle. We did the work on a LIFT!!!!!! no more rolling around in the yard to swap a transmission for this guy. Old T5 hit the table and we looked the two transmissions over, it appears that the one that was removed from the car was in terrible shape, the input shaft had a ton of play in it and from the looks of it was not a world class t5. We fixed an oil pan leak that we noticed while the trans was out as well that would have had me chasing circles.
We found a problem as soon as the trans cam out, the shift fork was damaged and no longer holding the TOB.
20181027_084053.jpg

The new Mcload clutch went into place and we bolted it all back in.
20181027_093957.jpg

only to hear a terrible hammering noise from somewhere under the car... OH CRAP now what do you think we had to do??? If you guessed pull the entire thing again your right.... We found that the new clutch was trying to make room for itself inside the bell-housing, that was a shock to both of us. There was nothing in the instructions about needing to possibly clearance anything. A 4" angle grinder and 5 mins later and we were ready to put it all back together...... again....... you know for the second time, in one day..... :nonono:
20181027_142500.jpg
20181027_142921.jpg

We took the car for a short test drive then i headed back tward the house a happy camper.

FYI- MS3 has boost duty vs MPH/gear I set this up today in Kyle's car while he drove the EBC will regulate the boost based on the VSS feedback for MPH. It was Awesome!! we went from crazy no traction to hard linear pulls with no wheel spin in a few mouse clicks. Then he opened the dump pipe from inside the car and we ran back to the shop with an open down pipe.... That will need different EBC settings for sure.

Attachments

• 20181027_142443.jpg
    20181027_142443.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Happy
Reactions: 3 users
I for one am just glad that the issue wasn't caused by something dumb I did! :p I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue before, I would have never considered the possibility of the pressure plate not clearing the bell housing. Nothing a little grinder action couldn't fix though and we had it back together in no time.

The car feels really great Steve and I'm happy I finally got to ride in it. Now hurry up and get that new clutch broken in so we can set up our dual dyno day!

With that much power, your feet might want to think about a can. Or as the rest of the world calls it a scattershield. I've seen the carnage first hand and put one in the 85 with basically stock power levels. Hope you at least have an SFI flywheel.

I WISH I had a lift. It would working on stuff easier. Like yesterday swapping exhaust on my Ram.

How do you like the McLeod ?

Very glad you figured that trans issue out. I've had to clearance a few bell housings for performance clutches. Usually, they'll be a note about it in the install paperwork.... or it'll say only for use with blah blah bellhousing.

Ok...so when I you driving up to Virginia so I can see it in person !? ( joking )